Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just purchased a 2019 Limited. Can't put more than 10 gallons in. Gauge shows full but range is only 441 - every time. Getting around 42 mpg so it's really more a matter of convenience having to refuel more often than I should. Dealer says there is nothing they can do. Toyota Corp. has no info, just taking names. I wish the dealer had disclosed this problem.

·
Registered
240 Posts
How many posts have you read on this site?
The tank is ok.
The gauges and yellow light early warning system is way conservative.
When the yellow light comes on you have 4 gallons left. The manual says 2.2 gallons. The manual is wrong. The manual was printed about 2 years before your car was built. You need to trust the car vs. the manual in this case.

Don't trust the DTE calculator either as it's math is being based on inaccurate information as well.

Mentally do the math.
When the yellow light comes on, multiply your MPG by 4. That is when you will run out of gas.

I assume you don't actually want to run out of gas. So when yellow light comes on, multiply you MPG by three and you will be good.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Which is why Toyota has said they’re designing and installing a new tank?
Hearsay. Toyota has said they are working on something. We don't know what that is. Many many people have documented the tank holds at least 14.5 gallon. More if you fill the filler neck as well.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Filling system is NOT ok. If I use normal fuelling speeds versus the uber slow method, it clicks off...like way early. Five gallons early. There IS a fuel filling issue. There is also a when it tells you it needs filled issue. Two things are not in order on the fuel system on the Rav.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hearsay. Toyota has said they are working on something. We don't know what that is. Many many people have documented the tank holds at least 14.5 gallon. More if you fill the filler neck as well.
And then it's also hearsay to say that "the tank is ok". I personally cannot believe that Toyota would be offering to replace the tanks now if they didn't believe that the tanks were at least part of the problem.

·
Registered
264 Posts
How many posts have you read on this site?
The tank is ok.
The gauges and yellow light early warning system is way conservative.
When the yellow light comes on you have 4 gallons left. The manual says 2.2 gallons. The manual is wrong. The manual was printed about 2 years before your car was built. You need to trust the car vs. the manual in this case.

Don't trust the DTE calculator either as it's math is being based on inaccurate information as well.

Mentally do the math.
When the yellow light comes on, multiply your MPG by 4. That is when you will run out of gas.

I assume you don't actually want to run out of gas. So when yellow light comes on, multiply you MPG by three and you will be good.
Please stop posting a) this as fact and b) that you are the authority on it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Maybe what "tank" means in Toyota speak is "fuel system".

There is something strange to say the least about the fuel system. But maybe not the actual sub component commonly referred to as "tank".

I bet when you get a "Tank Replacement" you also get fuel sensors replaced, emissions canister replaced, maybe lines and hoses and filler neck replaced as well. Heck, you might even get a new gas cap if it ships as a "kit".

I think Toyota is throwing a hail mary pass hoping one part of the system will solve something for you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think gpsman is kinda a troll, or maybe hes just bipolar. At times he confirms that there is an issue or something off, then other times he says its fine or works as designed. I think he finds some sense of enjoyment from telling people that their problems are negligible and that you just have to deal with it somehow. I mean yeah, maybe some of us are overreacting, but if we went the other direction the products we buy would all have problems left and right without any quality control, since customers would just have to "deal with it".

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm just saying it's behaving kind of strange, but not THAT much different from the bulk of cars out there. You know how many people complained of MPG issues before manufacturers started putting MPG displays in cars? One in a million. Ignorance was bliss.

How many people complained about fuel pumps clicking off early before we had seven bazillion trip computers?

Get a 1998 something.
Drive to E. Ignore refill lights
Go to a pump and fill to the first click.
Record gallons dispensed.
Look up the "tank capacity".
Compare and report back.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm just saying it's behaving kind of strange, but not THAT much different from the bulk of cars out there. You know how many people complained of MPG issues before manufacturers started putting MPG displays in cars? One in a million. Ignorance was bliss.

How many people complained about fuel pumps clicking off early before we had seven bazillion trip computers?

Get a 1998 something.
Compare and report back.
Your posts are hilarious!

Please do not stop!

Do you have a Newsletter I can subscribe?

My sides hurt.

·
Registered
178 Posts

Get a 1998 something.
Compare and report back.
This guy camps! Seriously, I get your angle, it's a little bit of fresh air reminding me of chill'er days 🤘 🍻

·
Registered
498 Posts

Get a 1998 something.
Compare and report back.
You're forgetting a rather important step: record the position of the fuel gauge. That 1998 something will probably point to F or somewhere above, but on some RAV4s, it will end up somewhere around 3/4 to 7/8ths. This isn't normal. In any other car it would be a defect (likely due to some problem with the evap system).

Once again, you continue to turn a blind eye to the second problem people are experiencing, pretending that only the "excessive reserve" issue exists. If you start from that (flawed) point, then sure, the issue isn't that far different than other cars. Everyone knows that almost every car can continue to drive after the gauge reads empty, and I remember some cars from 20+ years ago that were notorious for allowing you to drive quite far. The RAV4 hybrid just takes this to an extreme, able to drive 100-150 miles past empty. That's 2-3x more than most cars and 1/3 of the total range of my 1998 Civic. It's hard to call this "kinda strange" and "not THAT much different."

I could almost excuse this as just a stupid design decision, or maybe somehow necessary because of the fuel tank shape. Except for two things: it's not what the owner's manual says the reserve should be, and some cars do behave exactly how the owner's manual says they should. If the owner's manual is wrong (possible), then those other cars actually have a "diminished reserve" problem. If the owner's manual is correct then some cars have an "excessive reserve" problem. Either way, some cars aren't behaving as designed.

But sure, go ahead and just blame the owner's manual and people not understanding their cars.

·
Registered
2918 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
813 Posts
Go look under the car at how the fuel filler tube avoids the suspension. It hooks around and under the suspension and then into the side of the gas tank, not in the top. If a part of that filler tube is lower than the top of the tank as mine is you are going to have back pressure if you try to fill too fast.

Suggest an alternative routing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This guy camps! Seriously, I get your angle, it's a little bit of fresh air reminding me of chill'er days 🤘 🍻
You get what I'm expressing without saying. Chill. Let Toyota come up with a plan. The bigger the company the longer these things take to hit the marketplace. And if you were them, wouldn't you take your time to make sure A) is there a mechanical problem or a programming / calibration problem or perception problem B) is there more than one problem C) is this problem there from the factory or changing with time D) what is the appropriate fix E) is there more than one way to fix it F) what is the most cost effective way to fix it G) (legally) do we have to fix it?

I could probably add ten more but I think I made my point.

For daily drivers in the city, just cope and deal aka "chill" and fill up a little more frequently until the fix, from Toyota or third party comes about.

For those of you who MUST cross a desert or expansive distance of Siberian (or Canadian!) tundra alone without an extra gas can and 450+ miles between gas stations in your quest to recreate the adventures of Shackleton in a Rav4, there are countless tips on these pages on how you can stretch the range of your Rav4 with a little extra effort.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got this email, anyone else ? "Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain 2020 Toyota Avalon Hybrid, Camry, Camry Hybrid and Lexus ES300h and 2019-2020 RAV4 and RAV4 Hybrid vehicles equipped with 2.5L 4-Cylinder engines. Porosity in the engine castings may result in cracks than can allow coolant to leak internally and/or externally."

·
Registered
535 Posts
Just got this email, anyone else ? "Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing (Toyota) is recalling certain 2020 Toyota Avalon Hybrid, Camry, Camry Hybrid and Lexus ES300h and 2019-2020 RAV4 and RAV4 Hybrid vehicles equipped with 2.5L 4-Cylinder engines. Porosity in the engine castings may result in cracks than can allow coolant to leak internally and/or externally."
May I suggest that you post this under one of the 4-5 other existing threads that pertain to the engine related recall? This thread is supposed to be for the refueling problem.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts