Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I happened to be at Costco yesterday having my tires rotated. The guy behind the counter mentioned how much he liked my led headlights. He said, "those look nice, it's a shame they will do $3500. Worth of damage to your car in the next few months". Obviously this peaked my interest. Asking him what he meant, he proc ended to share that the electrical system was not designed for the low amperage drawl and would overload the wiring, causing everything to short soon. This sounds like bs ( most modern vehicles have voltage regulators). Does anyone here have any experience, knowledge, actual training or certification to verify or debunk his statement. I can easily switch back to standard lighting, however, have been using the LED's for 3 months now and love them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01J7KJEA0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489342342&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=9005+led+headlight+bulbs+nighteye&psc=1

·
Registered
54 Posts
If thats the case, toyota would be sued by now by SE and limited owners for having standard led headlights.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Actually might try some in my tacom !!

I think you can safely ignore this 'opinion' as idle talk. Cannot damage something without excessive loading on the electrical circuit and light emitting diodes reduce the load...
Lots of custom wiring jobs on cars fail with catastrophic issues which the comment may refer too, but the ones listed are plug/play. E.g. custom install of a 'light bar' of LEDs was to the wrong circuit, with wrong wire and/or on wrong fuse/circuit breaker, etc. could fry a harness nicely as one damaged wire could cause big problems; but not whats addressed here.
My only bad experience with LEDs replacements, was when they dont have adequate heat dissipation capability, as in the pair i tried in my Tacoma DRL's, which within 1 year started failing due to heat buildup in the lens cavity; LEDs have a lower tolerance for heat than halogen/krypton filled filament bulbs, which get hot but run that way ok. I got a refund. But absolutely no issues; just unplugged them and put in the old stock bulbs.
The ones you have show a decent heat dissipation design so enjoy. It'd be interesting to know if they last like they're supposed to; 'non-ruggedness' of the assembly may also cause early failure, especially with off-road use. But they claim they're tough.

·
Registered
160 Posts
LOL..what a retard. I've replaced every single bulb with led's on all the cars I had in the past and never had any issue.

·
Super Moderator
10,153 Posts
The only thing low amperage will hurt is that guy's brain. And apparently it already has.

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
Maybe the Costco guy misread his calendar and thought that it already was April Fool's Day . . . .

·
Registered
229 Posts
So I happened to be at Costco yesterday having my tires rotated. The guy behind the counter mentioned how much he liked my led headlights. He said, "those look nice, it's a shame they will do $3500. Worth of damage to your car in the next few months". Obviously this peaked my interest. Asking him what he meant, he proc ended to share that the electrical system was not designed for the low amperage drawl and would overload the wiring, causing everything to short soon. This sounds like bs ( most modern vehicles have voltage regulators). Does anyone here have any experience, knowledge, actual training or certification to verify or debunk his statement. I can easily switch back to standard lighting, however, have been using the LED's for 3 months now and love them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01J7KJEA0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489342342&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=9005+led+headlight+bulbs+nighteye&psc=1

Be happy he is behind the counter and not actually working on your car
:smile

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've been using LED bulbs for the low and high/DRL beams on my Rav4 without any problems so far.

Sent From the Edge of the Seventh Galaxy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts