Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey here, I am pretty new to this, so bear with me. (I hope I'm putting this in the right place :p). I am looking at getting a salvage, to repair, after hearing that this is a good way to save money by some old friends that did this years ago. I know of the issues with high insurance costs etc. but considering the vehicles are so cheap, should still save money in the medium term. What do you think about taking on a project like this? Here is the one that's similar to those I've been looking at.

https://www.autoauctionmall.com/auctions/rav4

Any advice? Would you take a project like this?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Wow, thanks for the link, I never knew about this. If the prices were low enough, I would get two or three RAVs and put one (maybe two) together out of the three, then donate the rest to a charity and get a writeoff.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would not touch a salvage vehicle vehicle...to many unknowns and variables...no warranty if the car is low mileage...like playing Russian roulette....:frown

·
Registered
158 Posts
i had a friend that bought a ford escape salvaged, it can't be sold again, had a discount of 60% over book value...
but I assume once a body on a vehicle gets crushed, it's no good, no matter what you do to it...
I suspect the crumple zones are designed for one time use...

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would only consider it if all of these conditions are met:

1. You are mechanically inclined and able to work on cars yourself (which includes having the tools, work-space, etc)
2. You know enough to be able to identify what can be reasonably repaired without unseen problems cropping up down the road (you really don't want to fix all the visible broken stuff now just to find out 20,000 miles later that the unibody frame actually had a hairline crack hidden somewhere that turns into a full structural failure)
3. You intend to drive the vehicle yourself and not sell it for a long, long time (at least not at any reasonable price)
4. Your insurance company will cover it for future collisions

Assuming the mechanics of it are sound, it's worth keeping in mind that banks typically will NOT finance vehicles with a salvage title and insurance companies may or may not actually provide full coverage for them. Thus, your ability to resell it will be greatly diminished even if "it runs like new".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts