Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The updates for the 2016+ model include:

• Re-tuned suspension, making it softer riding. (Softer shocks?) This seems to have been a response to complaints that it rides rough, especially on 18" wheels.
  • Acoustic noise-reducing windshield
  • 50% more (50% thicker?) sound dampening under the carpet

I test drove a 2016 Limited to compare to my 2013 Limited and did not really feel or hear any difference. :confused:

Have you? Under what conditions?

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Coming from driving a 2015 Limited for a year to a 2016 Hybrid Limited there is a definite improvement in ride quality and noise, can't say on the 2016 gas model, didn't drive one.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The updates for the 2016+ model include:

• Re-tuned suspension, making it softer riding. (Softer shocks?) This seems to have been a response to complaints that it rides rough, especially on 18" wheels.
  • Acoustic noise-reducing windshield
  • 50% more (50% thicker?) sound dampening under the carpet

I test drove a 2016 Limited to compare to my 2013 Limited and did not really feel or hear any difference. :confused:

Have you? Under what conditions?
Yes, wife and I drove both, back to back on an urban and secondary road route that we picked, and quickly chose the 16 despite the discount being offered on the 15.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
My 2016 hybrid limited rides better and is quieter than the 2014 xle we traded in.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are there any published details about what was re-tuned to make the ride softer?:nerd

·
Registered
248 Posts
Are there any published details about what was re-tuned to make the ride softer?:nerd
Here's the suspension summary from the review at Topspeed.com. Thats really a lot of detail improvements, some of which would be quite difficult to update on an older model.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The RAV4 once again uses an independent MacPherson strut suspension layout up front, and a double-wishbone suspension layout in the rear. New for 2016 are digressive valve shocks at all four corners, which handle high-frequency roads with ease, plus retuned coil springs. The speed-sensitive rack-and-pinion electric power steering was also retuned for more direct feel, and the rear suspension member has more spot welds for less vibration and more control. Finally, the brakes get a new ABS actuator for a more linear feel.

2016 Toyota RAV4 – Driving Impression And Review | car review @ Top Speed

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't know. I haven't had any issues with the RAV4. We took a nice road trip yesterday, and absolutely enjoyed the ride. So I'm not really sure where all the gripes come from.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
some of which would be quite difficult to update on an older model.
Yeah, but it seems like it is the new shocks and coils which would be responsible for the ride comfort improvement. And it is almost guaranteed that shocks and coils are interchangeable between 2013-2015 and 2016+.

Shocks wear out anyway. Perhaps the "hard" 2013-2015 shocks won't even be available when it's time to replace them on 2013-2015 models. :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yeah, but it seems like it is the new shocks and coils which would be responsible for the ride comfort improvement. And it is almost guaranteed that shocks and coils are interchangeable between 2013-2015 and 2016+.

Shocks wear out anyway. Perhaps the "hard" 2013-2015 shocks won't even be available when it's time to replace them on 2013-2015 models. :D
At the time the changes were introduced there were numerous discussions in the press about how the extra welding in the rear frame was done to reduce shake and vibration when going over harsh bumps. Apparently parts of the frame flexed at a different rate than the rest and produced a spring back effect over sharp bumps that is felt as harshness. I'm sure the shocks and springs make up much of the difference in ride, but I cant imagine that they would have bothered with the frame welding if it didn't make a perceptible contribution as well.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but I cant imagine that they would have bothered with the frame welding if it didn't make a perceptible contribution as well.
No doubt that it made some improvement.

I'm surprised that professional car reviewers don't do any rigorous comparisons of vehicles. It's all subjective opinions.

With the cost of electronics so cheap today, even cell phones have all the hardware to accomplish this, it would be trivial to include SPL readings at various speeds, or ride smoothness readings using gyroscopes. Then the consumer would be able to actually compare.

If Toyota release some information, as I'm sure they are interested in selling more cars, they could say "the new 2016 RAV4 is 3dB quiter at 65mph". Or something to that extent, it would definitely make it easier to splurge for a newer and updated vehicle. :D

·
Registered
1,625 Posts

I read somewhere that they changed something with regard to the attachment of the shocks on the new '16 RAV's. In other words, an adapter is needed to fit the newer '16 model shocks onto the older '13 - '15 year model RAV's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts