Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some, I’m sure, are still waiting to see if Toyota has finally started selling RAV4 Hybrids without this issue. I've asked three dealers in my area and they wouldn’t give a definitive answer, even though there is a fix slowly rolling out for owners who have been waiting their turn.
seems like a simple question to ask a dealer, you’d think!

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,242 Posts
Some, I’m sure, are still waiting to see if Toyota has finally started selling RAV4 Hybrids without this issue. I've asked three dealers in my area and they wouldn’t give a definitive answer, even though there is a fix slowly rolling out for owners who have been waiting their turn.

The fix document gives no clue beyond saying "early July" as the cutoff for the CSP.

There has been one report here of a suspected fix being in a newly built car but what the cut-over date was at each factory is still a mystery.

Ask at the service department, they will know if they are seeing new cars with the fix already installed.

·
Registered
2020 Rav4 Hybrid Limited
38 Posts
I have 2020 limited and 2021 limited, and my 2021 does not have the gas tank issue.

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,242 Posts
I have 2020 limited and 2021 limited, and my 2021 does not have the gas tank issue.
Patrho: Do you know the date it was built?

·
Registered
First toyotas...'20 Rav4 xse Hybrid and '20 Highlander Limited
7 Posts
Doesn't necessarily mean anything, like me, you just may not know it yet. I have a 12/19 Japanese built '20 Rav4xse Hybrid and at over 3000 miles has taken a full gas fill first time, every time even with no topping off, gas gauge slightly past the "F" mark, and estimated range around 500 - 509 miles. I was never sent the Toyota letter but upon calling they claim mine is involved.....even though I haven't experienced any fill or gauge problems. Maybe a difference due to local Asian sourcing or installation method of the fuel pump/gas gauge sending unit as opposed to US for the Indiana production..

You would hear about if there was a change to the gas tank or gas gauge being used in newer models which Toyota has supposedly been working on since their early letter. If the problem is the shape of the saddlebag gas tank, there is no way to develop a different system of securing the tank without installing the braces below the tank reducing the 8" ground clearance, and no room to install a larger or different type/shape tank. So, I for one am not expecting any remedy for the problem without a chassis redesign to accommodate a flat bottom fuel tank. Look under the car and if the saddlebag" tank is shaped and secured like this - you have a suspect tank and if US sourcing possibly a suspect fuel sending unit.
DSCN1093.JPG

DSCN1094.JPG
DSCN1094.JPG

DSCN1095.JPG
DSCN1095.JPG

And one must realize that should Toyota manage change the shape of their tank and method of securing it they would likely have to do a whole new series of crash tests for certification of the new tank design, plus new emission testing certification to confirm that the gas recovery system was still compliant. My .02 is it ain't gonna happen until the 6th gen.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Doesn't necessarily mean anything, like me, you just may not know it yet. I have a 12/19 Japanese built '20 Rav4xse Hybrid and at over 3000 miles has taken a full gas fill first time, every time even with no topping off, gas gauge slightly past the "F" mark, and estimated range around 500 - 509 miles. I was never sent the Toyota letter but upon calling they claim mine is involved.....even though I haven't experienced any fill or gauge problems. Maybe a difference due to local Asian sourcing or installation method of the fuel pump/gas gauge sending unit as opposed to US for the Indiana production..

You would hear about if there was a change to the gas tank or gas gauge being used in newer models which Toyota has supposedly been working on since their early letter. If the problem is the shape of the saddlebag gas tank, there is no way to develop a different system of securing the tank without installing the braces below the tank reducing the 8" ground clearance, and no room to install a larger or different type/shape tank. So, I for one am not expecting any remedy for the problem without a chassis redesign to accommodate a flat bottom fuel tank. Look under the car and if the saddlebag" tank is shaped and secured like this - you have a suspect tank and if US sourcing possibly a suspect fuel sending unit.
View attachment 158833
View attachment 158834 View attachment 158834
View attachment 158835 View attachment 158835

And one must realize that should Toyota manage change the shape of their tank and method of securing it they would likely have to do a whole new series of crash tests for certification of the new tank design, plus new emission testing certification to confirm that the gas recovery system was still compliant. My .02 is it ain't gonna happen until the 6th gen.
I should be able to tell you what the replacement tank looks like by about Tuesday. My '19 is scheduled to get the new tank on Monday assuming the parts came in today.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 2020 Rav4 was built in Japan in July, doesn't seem to have the problem after a few fill ups/1111 miles (I fill up at half a tank during fire season)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I purchased a 2021 Rav 4 Hybrid last week. I am going to run it down to the fuel light, or maybe when it reads 20 miles left. At that point there should be 2.2 or less gallons in the tank. If the pump clicks off around 10 gallons, Toyota has failed to remedy the issue. I can keep you posted if interested.
I purchased a 2021 Rav 4 Hybrid last week. I am going to run it down to the fuel light, or maybe when it reads 20 miles left. At that point there should be 2.2 or less gallons in the tank. If the pump clicks off around 10 gallons, Toyota has failed to remedy the issue. Since it's been a design flaw since 2019, the trim model shouldn't matter. I can keep you posted if interested

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I purchased a 2021 Rav 4 Hybrid last week. I am going to run it down to the fuel light, or maybe when it reads 20 miles left. At that point there should be 2.2 or less gallons in the tank. If the pump clicks off around 10 gallons, Toyota has failed to remedy the issue. I can keep you posted if interested.

I purchased a 2021 Rav 4 Hybrid last week. I am going to run it down to the fuel light, or maybe when it reads 20 miles left. At that point there should be 2.2 or less gallons in the tank. If the pump clicks off around 10 gallons, Toyota has failed to remedy the issue. Since it's been a design flaw since 2019, the trim model shouldn't matter. I can keep you posted if interested
According to the fix document. the 10 gallons (actually 9.8) you cite as deficient is the designed difference between the low fuel warning light and the fuel shut off level of the tank.

As I have said before, lawyers will have a lucrative case over this.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
2021 Limited Hybrid Built 9/20.. not an issue shows 576 to empty when filled.

Appreciate the feedback, do keep us informed as conditions seemed to change over the first few fillings in the earlier models. Where was your car built?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Appreciate the feedback, do keep us informed as conditions seemed to change over the first few fillings in the earlier models. Where was your car built?
Japan 9/20 build..I"ll let the forum know what the next fill brings with a before and after pic..

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had read here on the forum that the parts are in for the fix! I called the dealer! They had to call corporate! I have an appointment tomorrow for an assesment and they are giving me a rental. I will keep you posted!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Satisfied On This End Mike..
I see no fill issues with mine.. but again, it was assmebled only 60 days ago or less. I'm sure Big-T is not still using defective parts in these newer 21' Rav4's.. Being they have to foot the bill on Dealership's Labor Cost to replace these defective parts. That would make NO SENSE :unsure: they can just return any unused parts to the manufacture for credit at this point. I hope all Rav4 owners can enjoy a normal fill before years end..✔

BEFORE.jpg
MIDDLE.jpg
AFTER.jpg

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
There are bottom of the tank pictures of the new tank. Next time yours is on a lift, see if they can take a picture of the bottom and fill side. Then compare.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So reading the above comments, it’s still not certain if the 2021s are all coming out with a fixed gas tank issue. I guess I’ll keep waiting or buy something else.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited
66 Posts
Mine was built 7/20. So it seems I’m right on the line .... I guess I’ll find out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts