Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
When i fill up again i will post the gallons. Last time i filled up it was a little over 8 gallons and gauge showed just above 1/4 tank remaining.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Doesn't necessarily mean anything, like me, you just may not know it yet. I have a 12/19 Japanese built '20 Rav4xse Hybrid and at over 3000 miles has taken a full gas fill first time, every time even with no topping off, gas gauge slightly past the "F" mark, and estimated range around 500 - 509 miles. I was never sent the Toyota letter but upon calling they claim mine is involved.....even though I haven't experienced any fill or gauge problems. Maybe a difference due to local Asian sourcing or installation method of the fuel pump/gas gauge sending unit as opposed to US for the Indiana production..

You would hear about if there was a change to the gas tank or gas gauge being used in newer models which Toyota has supposedly been working on since their early letter. If the problem is the shape of the saddlebag gas tank, there is no way to develop a different system of securing the tank without installing the braces below the tank reducing the 8" ground clearance, and no room to install a larger or different type/shape tank. So, I for one am not expecting any remedy for the problem without a chassis redesign to accommodate a flat bottom fuel tank. Look under the car and if the saddlebag" tank is shaped and secured like this - you have a suspect tank and if US sourcing possibly a suspect fuel sending unit.
View attachment 158833
View attachment 158834 View attachment 158834
View attachment 158835 View attachment 158835

And one must realize that should Toyota manage change the shape of their tank and method of securing it they would likely have to do a whole new series of crash tests for certification of the new tank design, plus new emission testing certification to confirm that the gas recovery system was still compliant. My .02 is it ain't gonna happen until the 6th gen.
The problem is not the shape of the tank. the fix involes replacing three components that work with the tank. just for the record, if you drove until the twnk was dry, as a few have confirmed, you would go well past the low fuel light. The ’fix’ makes the sensor angd gas guage work properly. When the low fuel light comes on you truely have 2.5 gallons left. (dont let it run dry). in the 14.5 gallon tank, you can then pump in 11 gallons, plus or minus, because for some reason an air gap must be left at the top when the tank is full. Topping it off reduces that gap, and could hurt some mechanism as the gas sloshes around while driving. My rcommendation is to not add more than 1/2 a gallon after the gas pump stops on its own. that would yield 12 gallons you can count on. beyond that you play russian roulet because when the tank is dry you can drive about 1/2 mile on battery before it stops.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I should be able to tell you what the replacement tank looks like by about Tuesday. My '19 is scheduled to get the new tank on Monday assuming the parts came in today.

No need to wait. Old on top new on bottom.
Look closely at the top right vertical impression.

New tank a little more pronounced.

Look at the difference lower left just above the oval shape.

My new tank is a fix. Full is full empty is empty.

Low fuel light went on at 29 miles. Added 12.03 gallons after two clicks at the pump.

First click was 11.38 gallons so two more top off clicks only added 3/4 gallon not the 3 gallons I managed to top off in the old tank.

Russ

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,381 Posts
The problem is not the shape of the tank. the fix involes replacing three components that work with the tank. just for the record, if you drove until the twnk was dry, as a few have confirmed, you would go well past the low fuel light. The ’fix’ makes the sensor angd gas guage work properly. When the low fuel light comes on you truely have 2.5 gallons left. (dont let it run dry). in the 14.5 gallon tank, you can then pump in 11 gallons, plus or minus, because for some reason an air gap must be left at the top when the tank is full. Topping it off reduces that gap, and could hurt some mechanism as the gas sloshes around while driving. My rcommendation is to not add more than 1/2 a gallon after the gas pump stops on its own. that would yield 12 gallons you can count on. beyond that you play russian roulet because when the tank is dry you can drive about 1/2 mile on battery before it stops.
The problem is the shape of the tank causing a hang up and false reading of the fuel level sensor. I saw the kit come out of the box and posted pictures and it included the tank as a replacement. The CSP speaks of gas tank sub assembly. What I recall seeing were a tank and two small plastic bags of parts which would match up to the three SKUs (stock keeping units) mentioned in the CSP of October 29th.

·
Registered
182 Posts
So reading the above comments, it’s still not certain if the 2021s are all coming out with a fixed gas tank issue. I guess I’ll keep waiting or buy something else.
9/20 Build.. In Aichi Japan.. 2021 Hybrid Limited. Mine Checks Out Just Fine. Did A Fillup Today.. Here Are The Results.

16 DTE.JPG

GALLONS.JPG

563 DTE.JPG

Gauge & DTE Read As They Should.. 11.1 + Reserves Put The Gallons In Line As Well.

So Yes.. If you choose a R4 Hybrid built from September Foward Out Of Japan.. You should be fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
9/20 Build.. In Aichi Japan.. 2021 Hybrid Limited. Mine Checks Out Just Fine. Did A Fillup Today.. Here Are The Results.

View attachment 160209

View attachment 160210

View attachment 160211

Gauge & DTE Read As They Should.. 11.1 + Reserves Put The Gallons In Line As Well.

So Yes.. If you choose a R4 Hybrid built from September Foward Out Of Japan.. You should be fine.
Keeping my fingers crossed the US built is free from this issue too...my Limited is in transit.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Keeping my fingers crossed the US built is free from this issue too...my Limited is in transit.
I can't imagine Big-T using Known Defective Parts from the earlier units when building these 21's.
Does not matter where your unit is being assembled.. they would only be shooting themselves in the foot having to reimburse dealers for labor, shipping etc for something that can be Fixed right on the assmebly line.
They can go after the supplier for the defective parts.

If you purchased a 21'... Congrats.. You're Good 👈

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I can't imagine Big-T using Known Defective Parts from the earlier units when building these 21's.
Does not matter where your unit is being assembled.. they would only be shooting themselves in the foot having to reimburse dealers for labor, shipping etc for something that can be Fixed right on the assmebly line.

If you purchased a 21'... Congrats.. You're Good 👈
Toyota was well aware of the problem and continued to use Known Defective Parts for much of 2019 and 2020.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's not as simple as going after the supplier if it's a design issue. Besides, they're going to have a hard time building cars short term if they just bankrupt their supplier...

If it's cheaper to use the "bad" parts and fix the low % of vehicles which exhibit the issue, that's what they will do. The problem is a fairly minor one which does not affect safety of the vehicle. Even worse, if using new parts involves stopping the whole production line for weeks, you can bet they'll keep using the old parts. So I would not even bet on the new parts being used on assembly lines right now. Just because they exist does not mean production has been ramped up to replace all of the old version. It could very well be that just one of many suppliers is making the new version.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It's not as simple as going after the supplier if it's a design issue. Besides, they're going to have a hard time building cars short term if they just bankrupt their supplier...

If it's cheaper to use the "bad" parts and fix the low % of vehicles which exhibit the issue, that's what they will do. The problem is a fairly minor one which does not affect safety of the vehicle..
WHAT! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

OMG.. Who are you trying to convince with that line of reasoning?:geek:

They've known about this issue throughout 2020.. have come up with a test to confirm the issue on the vehicles that got saddled with this problem... and have the rectified parts available for the Rav4 upon failing the test.. Since what? July??

Yet...

Those of us with 2021's are buying vehicles that are assembled with OLD DEFECTIVE PARTS from 2018-2019-early 2020??? (Refer to post #27)

Now That There Is FUNNY 👈

Eh.. I don't think so. How you came up with that one... No One Knows But You.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited AWD
81 Posts
If it's cheaper to use the "bad" parts and fix the low % of vehicles which exhibit the issue, that's what they will do. The problem is a fairly minor one which does not affect safety of the vehicle. Even worse, if using new parts involves stopping the whole production line for weeks, you can bet they'll keep using the old parts.
From an actuarial accounting perspective, this is true in a general sense. If the cost of repair is less than the cost of litigation, then corporate policy tends to favor a decision that involves the former. If human safety is not anticipated to be a factor (i.e., current gas tank/gauge issues), it may be deemed acceptable by the manufacturer to allow production with existing parts to proceed unencumbered, in the near-term. A fix is eventually developed, production methods are altered and those that are impacted will eventually be offered a remedy. However, a percentage of purchasers will either not recognize they have an issue, or wont take the time to have it dealt with because the perceived risk/inconvenience is low. In any event, the company saves significant resources by not committing to a general recall or taking other drastic measures to implement a remedy more quickly.

TL/DR: where the safety factor is low or non-existent, it isn't uncommon for existing (although flawed) parts to be incorporated into production until they are exhausted.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sucks For Those With A Tank Issue After Spending So Much Money On A Vehicle...

Glad Toyota Didn't SCREW Me Like They Did 2019-2020 Buyers.:cool:

·
Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
1,381 Posts
Sucks For Those With A Tank Issue After Spending So Much Money On A Vehicle...

Glad Toyota Didn't SCREW Me Like They Did 2019-2020 Buyers.:cool:
2019 owner who doesn't feel "screwed". Never cost me a single cent for extra gas nor an extra stop. Fixed within warranty period at no cost to me.

My washing machine covers clothes with mildew flecks.

My phone won't format my memory card.

My new dishwasher had insulation hanging out the front within one week.

My phones in the TV room just exhausted their battery life and I had to order $6 worth of new one and, to make matters worse, I have to dispose of the old batteries.

A friend died last night.

My neighbor will have to get his shoulder socket replaced as a result of service connected incidents.

My car is just not a problem.

·
Registered
182 Posts
2019 owner who doesn't feel "screwed". Never cost me a single cent for extra gas nor an extra stop. Fixed within warranty period at no cost to me.

My washing machine covers clothes with mildew flecks.

My phone won't format my memory card.

My new dishwasher had insulation hanging out the front within one week.

My phones in the TV room just exhausted their battery life and I had to order $6 worth of new one and, to make matters worse, I have to dispose of the old batteries.

A friend died last night.

My neighbor will have to get his shoulder socket replaced as a result of service connected incidents.

My car is just not a problem.
You're AWFULLY Defensive About Something That Is Not A Problem.
If.. it's not an issue for you.. then why even waste the time to make the statement :D

You Know It...
WE ALL KNOW IT... it just took Toyota 3 years to finally get the new design Right..

If that pill is too bitter to swallow for you...:mad:

It Is What It Is.... It's Simply.. A Fact.. for 2021 owners.. the Tank Issue is a Non-Issue ..
and that's what matters as far as I'm concerned.. I just wanted to help assure member Samster that since he chose a New 2021 vs a Leftover 2020.... He can have faith his unit won't have the MANY ISSUES that plagued the 2019's and 2020's..

And... it's so Funny (And So Very Clear) the one's that have to PIGGY ON EVERY STATEMENT I MAKE praising the quality in the majority of 2021's.. and try to "Come Back" with some off the wall statement to try to refute what is a fact...

The 2021's Are Simply Better Than The Prior Years.. That's A Fact.

So.. you can downplay it all you want.. interjecting you personal life into this conversation.. it changes NOTHING.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You're AWFULLY Defensive About Something That Is Not A Problem.
If.. it's not an issue for you.. then why even waste the time to make the statement :D

You Know It...
WE ALL KNOW IT... it just took Toyota 3 years to finally get the new design Right..

If that pill is too bitter to swallow for you...:mad:

It Is What It Is.... It's Simply.. A Fact.. for 2021 owners.. the Tank Issue is a Non-Issue ..
and that's what matters as far as I'm concerned.. I just wanted to help assure member Samster that since he chose a New 2021 vs a Leftover 2020.... He can have faith his unit won't have the MANY ISSUES that plagued the 2019's and 2020's..

And... it's so Funny (And So Very Clear) the one's that have to PIGGY ON EVERY STATEMENT I MAKE praising the quality in the majority of 2021's.. and try to "Come Back" with some off the wall statement to try to refute what is a fact...

The 2021's Are Simply Better Than The Prior Years.. That's A Fact.

So.. you can downplay it all you want.. interjecting you personal life into this conversation.. it changes NOTHING.
No, nothing to refute. You have made everything quite clear in your elegantly styled, and eloquently written posts. Your 2021 Rav4 will be flawless forever while the rest of us are getting screwed and driving lemons. Got it. Thanks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
No, nothing to refute. You have made everything quite clear in your elegantly styled, and eloquently written posts. Your 2021 Rav4 will be flawless forever while the rest of us are getting screwed and driving lemons. Got it. Thanks.
ALL THE 2021's ARE..
WHEN COMPARED TO THE 2019-2020's.
You're EXACTLY One Of The One's I Was Commenting About..

Your Tail Hurts Too Because You Know I'm Correct.

That's Why You Can't Let Me Go.. Always.. Something To Type Huh?

I LOVE IT. Keep Following>>> 👈

·
Registered
182 Posts
N problems seemingly on the Australian delivered cars. Maybe they are Japanese assembled?
Yes Sir.
Always The Best Choice If You Have One (y)

21 - 40 of 44 Posts