Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see plenty around $200 for the 06-08 Rav4, but noting for 09-12. Then they have them again from 13 on up. Is the 09-12 a special headlight? It looks exactly the same as the ones I had one my 08. It's frustrating because the only ones I found are Anzo and they're close to $500 which isn't happening. Right now I have LED and HID and it'd look a lot cooler in projectors.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have heard that the 06-08 housings will fit the 09-12, I have not tried it...I bought projectors and did a proper retrofit and they work great...parts cost me about 400 or so if I remember right...I have high and low beam in the projector and can still use my factory high beams...I can pretty much see to the next county LOL...and be careful using hid and led bulbs in reflector housings as cops have started to crack down on them in my area at least...I have even read that some people have smashed in headlights of people who drive around with their lights like that...

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I have heard that the 06-08 housings will fit the 09-12, I have not tried it...I bought projectors and did a proper retrofit and they work great...parts cost me about 400 or so if I remember right...I have high and low beam in the projector and can still use my factory high beams...I can pretty much see to the next county LOL...and be careful using hid and led bulbs in reflector housings as cops have started to crack down on them in my area at least...I have even read that some people have smashed in headlights of people who drive around with their lights like that...
And why do you suppose people would smash those kind of headlights?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Some people get really angry when some jackwagon rolls up behind them with bright hid lights in reflector housings...I used to see those idiots all the time, but not as much lately...I figure the cops are cracking down on them...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well even if they were projector headlights the high beams are usually still reflectors from what I've seen of those housings. I haven't had anyone flash their headlights at me yet with the HID and the ones I got are well-rated and bright. They're Kensun. 6000K. Not sure what lm. My LED are 6000lm, but I never turn them on in traffic. Honestly, the GE Nighthawk halogen bulbs in my other car get more people flashing than the HID. What I don't get is why for aftermarket parts you have affordable housings for every year except 09-12. My car has 109,000 miles on it. It runs great but I'm not putting $500 headlight housings on it. I'd buy a sheet metal skid plate, or an aftermarket exhaust before I did that. But for every other year it's $200-$300.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Correct, the high beam lights in te housing are conventional reflectors and not to be used for HID. And actually you only use the high beam in full darkness without upcoming traffic.

The projector lenses for normal beam (In EU: dim light) are perfect for aftermaket HID. I use HID in my projectors for over 4 years now, and I have never had any one flashing at me or any comments on the annual inspection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts