Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just going through the comments on C/D on the 2017 Accord Hybrid and found this interesting one:

Comments on: 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid: It's Back and It's Rejuvenated - Official Photos and Info - Car and Driver Backfires

This accord has no transmission. Less to break.

The AC is electric. No leaks in the compressor as it is sealed. It also is variable speed so it can cool better than any typical car AC.

No need for jump starts. The big battery starts the car via the motor on the engine. Also...

No starter.

Also, it should have no issues starting in the winter either.

Electric heat, no waiting for the car to warm up in winter.

Less brake wear due to regen braking.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Transmission: you have to define "transmission" in order to answer that one. Neither vehicle has a conventional transmission with gears, clutch packs, etc. Both have some mechanism of controlling the rate that the wheels turn vs the rate that a motor (or engine) turns. (Which is what a transmission really is.) So, both the honda and toyota have some kind of mechanism that performs the function of a transmission.

Electric A/C: The Rav4 Hybrid's A/C is powered by the electric motor (not the ICE) and is variable speed (3 speeds, I think?)

jump starts (and starter): The rav4 hybrid has no starter (it uses one of the electric motors to get the ICE going.) I think the RAV4 Hybrid does require 12v power to get started, but I don't understand the relationship between the 12v battery and why it needs to be charged for the hybrid/traction battery to get going.

Electric heat: the rav4 hybrid has electric assisted heat. The primary heat source is still the ICE. (The ICE also heats the hybrid/traction battery.)

Brake wear: yes.. it's the same. (I think the RAV4 hybrid actually has physically smaller brakes than the gasoline Rav4 - which it can do because regen braking takes some of the load off of friction braking.)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess with the transmission, the RAV4 inherited the eCVT planetary gears from the Prius.

Thanks Gary. Sounds like this won't need one of my lithium jump starter packs in the winter. :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Brake wear: yes.. it's the same. (I think the RAV4 hybrid actually has physically smaller brakes than the gasoline Rav4 - which it can do because regen braking takes some of the load off of friction braking.)
I don't think that's the case. The vehicle would have to meet the federal stopping distance requirements without using regenerative braking.

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
Just going through the comments on C/D on the 2017 Accord Hybrid and found this interesting one:

The AC is electric. No leaks in the compressor as it is sealed. It also is variable speed so it can cool better than any typical car AC.

No need for jump starts. The big battery starts the car via the motor on the engine. Also...

No starter.

Electric heat, no waiting for the car to warm up in winter.

I'm not that familiar with the Hybrid RAV4 but it's interesting to compare the 2017 Accord Hybrid with the 2014-15 version and my 2006.

Mine has a conventional 5-speed automatic. The new versions have none. They use electric-only to get up to a speed, around 40 mph in the one I test drove two years ago, where a clutch engages for direct drive so it's essentially high gear only. (Salesman back then said it had a CVT, and they probably still are today.)

My AC compressor is dual powered, engine while it's running, electric during engine auto-stop.

The hybrid battery starts the engine in mine too and winter starts are indeed instant. The 12V battery runs the ignition and all electronics. If the hybrid battery is too low a 12V starter can crank the engine in mine. That has NEVER happened so they took it out.

Mine has conventional engine based heating. Electric would be VERY nice.

Any vehicle with regenerative braking will reduce wear on conventional brakes but regen doesn't work a slow speeds so city traffic would probably wear pads at the same rate as a non-electric car.

All said I'll stick with my V6 Accord Hybrid. Anything else feels too slow compared to it and our V6 RAV4.

Reactions: internalaudit

·
Registered
13 Posts

Comments on: 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid: It's Back and It's Rejuvenated - Official Photos and Info - Car and Driver Backfires

This is true. The accord has a single ratio gearbox and the ratio is equivalent to the sixth gear of a traditional transmission. The car is a series hybrid from 0mph to about 45mph-55mph depending on load, which it then clutches in the gearbox to act as a parallel hybrid for more efficiency.

The toyota and ford system works very different in that it's always a parallel hybrid working through a planetary gearseat. The engine is on the sun gear and the main tractor motor is on the outer ring gear.

Coolant still enters and exits the units, so there are still leaking points.

No starter.
Not really true, if you leave the lights turn on the hybrid, you'll still need a jump start. The jump start lug is in the engine compartment in the fuse box, there is a little red tab to flip over and connect your jumper cables. The hybrid still has a 12v battery to power all the traditional car electronics, like the lights and all the computers. Once these computers have power, it then allows the large traction battery to charge the system, but without the initial 12v power, nothing will work. Once it has power, the car can use the motor/generator to spin up and start the engine, then switch to generation to produce the high voltage to charge the main battery.

There's also no alternator, which is replaced by the dc regulator/inverter unit.

It's not different than any other car. Though the motor/generator is much beefier and spins the engine much faster than a tradition starter. So i guess it's better than a traditional car.

I didn't have to replace the brake pads on my 2011 prius until i hit 120k miles. But it also matters how you brake as well, long and slow.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the interior lights turn off after 20 minutes and the settings can be changed. Quite handy to say the least.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts