Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm wondering if winter tires are mandatory in Oregon and Washington states in winter? As In BC Canada starting this year, you have to have winter tires installed to drive in some area in BC. Anyone knows?

Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
They have been mandatory in Quebec for some time now. It should be the same for Ont. except the centre of the universe doesn't think so. I mean, if it's mandatory for Que. I can see Gatineau from my window at work and I'm a 30 min drive to hop on a ferry and be in Que from my house well you get the point. Anywhere it is below 7C you should have winter tires.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Also of note in Washington state, when chains are required on mountain passes, vehicles under 10,000lbs equipped with AWD/4WD and traction tires are exempt from having them installed although they are required to have a pair present. That last bit seems kind of stupid and in 30 years of driving back and forth over the passes in winter conditions I have never once had anyone check to see if I was carrying chains in an AWD or 4WD vehicle. I have never even owned chains for those vehicles.

This is one of the reasons that I prefer AWD and 4WD vehicles and will always select the option when available.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Here is a link to all of Oregon's winter driving equipment requirements: https://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/chain-laws.asp# 4WD vehicle requirements basically are the same as Iron Bender posted for Washington State, 2WD vehicle requirements and those in general basically are the same as those posted by Quickdtoo for Washington State.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
The AWD/4WD vehicles with traction tires requirements that Ironbender mentioned are in the link I provided.

I have an all-wheel or four-wheel drive vehicle. When "Chains Required" signs are posted, do I have to use chains?
No. All-wheel drive vehicles are exempt from chain requirements when all wheels are in gear and are equipped with approved traction devices, provided that tire chains for at least one set of drive tires are carried in the vehicle. See WAC 204-24-050.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts