Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is kinda getting dirty now, was looking at some cabin and air filters, just wondering who here bought one already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm going to give serious thought to the cabin filter, as I typically own cars 10+ years and thought would seem to pay off. I've used K&N air filters on all of my cars, but after reading a few posts on this forum about dirt being allowed in, I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The OE filters are readily available and cheap inline. The charcoal filter for the cabin is preferred, not the cheap paper filter some offer.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Stick with stock or aftermarket. K&N will not provide you superior performance.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The air filter is usually the least restrictive part of the intake. The biggest restiction is nearly always the convoluted trunking before the air box. I would now only use a K&N if still doing serious enough off-roading that could lead to water getting into your air box, wet paper, not good.

·
Registered
731 Posts
K&N and Michelin have excellent marketing departments. Enough said.

Reactions: Douglas007

·
Registered
846 Posts
K&N and Michelin have excellent marketing departments. Enough said.
I went back to Honda OEM after trying some of those Michelin wiper blades from Costco (no I didn't return them!), they're not only as expensive, they don't last as long.

Also, I can just replace the rubber inserts instead of the entire wiper blade assembly which comes out much cheaper.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Also depends on the areas that you live in - temperatures, type of dirt, size of particles, etc. An oiled-gauze type air filter may be good enough to stop the majority of the contaminants that it shouldn't affect lifespan of the vehicle that much. Like they say - your mileage may vary.

K&N setup is good enough for TRD to use them as the vendor for TRD badged performance air filters (looks exactly like a K&M filter, just different colors).

I've been running a K&N on my 2002 Corolla once the powertrain warranty ran out (60K miles) - have little over 205K miles on it, with 145K of those miles on a K&N filter. Pull UOA (used oil analysis) annually to check on the condition of the car - as I run extended oil changes. Both wear levels and amount of silicon contamination (usually a sign of sucking in more dirt) - were pretty much the same between running the OEM paper vs the K&N aftermarket.

Much of the issues I've notice on the boards on running these K&N is likely due to improper oiling techniques to re-establish that oil "tack" behavior. I clean my K&N once a year (remove, wash, dry, re-oil, replace) and re-oil every 6-months. There is a trick to making sure that all the pleats get the right amount of oil.

I only like them because I can run one filter for basically the life of the car. Cost and performance wise - they are pretty much the same. What you save in number of paper air filters - you'll eat up with maintenance on the cotton gauze one. K&N is not as acoustically "quiet" as paper - so you'll hear more of the intake noise compared to the OEM one, but MPG, acceleration - butt-dyno said no difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts