Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/business/2017/05/09/camry-prius-sales-tumble-toyota-ramps-volume-suvs-like-rav4-highlander

The Toyota Camry has been America’s best-selling car for 15 years. Yet last month, Toyota’s RAV4, a crossover sport utility vehicle, sold 329 more units in the U.S.

It’s the second time this year that the RAV4 has topped the Camry in monthly sales, and the trend says a lot about the direction of the market and how the world’s most valuable automaker is adjusting.

Vehicle sales in the U.S. have been climbing steadily since the recession and set another record last year at about 17.5 million units. That growth has been driven by trucks and SUVs, recently at the expense of passengers cars.

So-called light trucks accounted for over 60 percent of U.S. sales last year, up from half in 2012. The shift continues to accelerate, with trucks and SUVs nearing 63 percent of sales through the first four months of 2017.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Several magazines have reported that SUV sales in general have overtaken or are overtaking sedans and coupes as preferred vehicles.

As for fuel efficiency I'm waiting to try out the promised Mazda CX-5 Dlesel version, supposed to be available later this year (173 HP, 310 ft../lbs. torque, 40 mpg highway) But it will take some doing to pry me out of my V6 RAV!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Several magazines have reported that SUV sales in general have overtaken or are overtaking sedans and coupes as preferred vehicles.

As for fuel efficiency I'm waiting to try out the promised Mazda CX-5 Dlesel version, supposed to be available later this year (173 HP, 310 ft../lbs. torque, 40 mpg highway) But it will take some doing to pry me out of my V6 RAV!
310 ft/lbs (!) :shock::D:

Until electric vehicles reach everyday, this is the kind of direction I want to see from ICE vehicle engineering. Makes for effortless and fantastic driving.

·
Registered
69 Posts
In my area, Diesel can be 15% more expensive than regular unleaded, so the mpg savings for a Diesel can be minimal

1 - 4 of 4 Posts