Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever use this? A neighbor just gave me an unopened tin he never used, and from what I have read it's amazing stuff.

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
Very old school product. From what I understand they went out of business due to the high VOC content. Supposedly they were bought out and the formula was redone to make the EPA happy. I see nothing that says VOC compliant which most companies tout on the label so?????? The old formula contained abrasives from what I read so be careful with it......same may be true of the new stuff if it actually exists.

Folks with fiberglass boats and RVs swore by the stuff. Let us know how it does. It likely has a strong solvent odor so be in a well ventilated area.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very old school product. From what I understand they went out of business due to the high VOC content. They were eventually bought out and the formula was redone to make the EPA happy. The old formula contained abrasives from what I read so be careful with it......same may be true of the new stuff. I see "New" in red at the bottom right of the container.

Folks with fiberglass boats and RV's swore by the stuff. Let us know how it does. It likely has a strong solvent odor so be in a well ventilated area.
It does contain (I smelt it first, then checked contents to see) petroleum distillates, ie it smells like gas. Also the side panel reads:

New Heavy Duty formula contains cleaners, Solvents, Emulsifiers,, Gloss, Producers, Inhibitors, Lubricators, Bonding agents, Surfactants, like Dimethysiloxane polymers, polyethylene polymers, low micron abrasives, petroleum solvents, etc.

So...

.... applied it to my spare tire cover and half the panel on the left side of tailgate as a comparison to untreated side. Just waiting until it hazes (as directed)and we'll see after buffing.

One thing. This stuff is the THINEST compound I've ever used next to water. It makes stuff like Liquid Glass seem like molasses. LOL.

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
I would not use it on Opticoat Pro, the abrasives & solvents will likely remove it. Try it on another car.

Micro abrasives are standard in most cleaner waxes, nothing new there.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
It does contain (I smelt it first, then checked contents to see) petroleum distillates, ie it smells like gas. Also the side panel reads:

New Heavy Duty formula contains cleaners, Solvents, Emulsifiers,, Gloss, Producers, Inhibitors, Lubricators, Bonding agents, Surfactants, like Dimethysiloxane polymers, polyethylene polymers, low micron abrasives, petroleum solvents, etc.

The only thing that's got me worried is the abrasives ingredient, though it does say it's safe for all clear coats. Sure it's fine for OptiCoat Pro coatings too, just not sure I need it, but would love to try it. Might do a test on the tire cover and see what she yields.
Anything with abrasives is a big no-no for coatings, unless you are willing to reapply, coatings are thin! Why risk removing it?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would not use it on Opticoat Pro, the abrasives & solvents will likely remove it. Try it on another car.

Micro abrasives are standard in most cleaner waxes, nothing new there.
Well.... it didn't remove the Opticoat and quite frankly, had it done so I would not have been impressed, not with my stupidity mind you, but with the quality of the Opticoat Pro. OCPro pretty amazing stuff, and I'd be shocked if something as rudimentary as a polish could have any sort of effect on it.

To that end...

The Astro Shield did nothing at all to enhance the already incredible surface shine of the OP Pro, and nor were there any (as expected) adverse reactions with the OC Pro. And I don't think the Astro Shield is even as good as Liquid Glass, which does produce an insane gloss as seen here.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do you know it didn't remove the Opticoat?
There's a significant difference between the Opticoat above and raw clear coat beneath in terms of depth of and shine, so much so that removing a swatch of Opticoat would be quite noticeable, plus there'd be residue smearing / swipe bleeding etc. I tested it only on a small part of the door panel and nothing changed between the tested and untested area. And as Astro Shield yielded no better results than a host of other products I currently use, I re-detailed the panel area in my usual stuff.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well.... it didn't remove the Opticoat and quite frankly, had it done so I would not have been impressed, not with my stupidity mind you, but with the quality of the Opticoat Pro. OCPro pretty amazing stuff, and I'd be shocked if something as rudimentary as a polish could have any sort of effect on it.

To that end...

The Astro Shield did nothing at all to enhance the already incredible surface shine of the OP Pro, and nor were there any (as expected) adverse reactions with the OC Pro. And I don't think the Astro Shield is even as good as Liquid Glass, which does produce an insane gloss as seen here.

Dang!!! that is one shinny rav.... :nerd looks like she is allergic to dust and mud.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts