Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a real cheapskate, and figuring my 99 RAV will last 300K miles, I only want to change the timing belt once - at 150K miles.

I'm the original owner and I drive real gentle, and figure the belt might last a long while. (I only changed my front brake pads at 88,500 miles and that's because I was going on a multi-thousand-mile vacation and didn't want any problems, not that they were worn out.) I'm at 105K miles now.

So what's the most miles (km) someone's gone without changing the belt? I realize this may not be the right group to ask, since some of you are maintenance fanatics, but I don't know any honest people to ask at the Toyota dealership ;-)

A

·
0 Posts
ecoravman said:
I'm a real cheapskate, and figuring my 99 RAV will last 300K miles, I only want to change the timing belt once - at 150K miles.

I'm the original owner and I drive real gentle, and figure the belt might last a long while. (I only changed my front brake pads at 88,500 miles and that's because I was going on a multi-thousand-mile vacation and didn't want any problems, not that they were worn out.) I'm at 105K miles now.

So what's the most miles (km) someone's gone without changing the belt? I realize this may not be the right group to ask, since some of you are maintenance fanatics, but I don't know any honest people to ask at the Toyota dealership ;-)
60001 :roll:

Some argue they may last the life of the car - you take your chances - although most consider it is very unlikely any damage will appen if it breaks (may-be) - your just looking at a tow and the cost of the belt change

·
Registered
176 Posts
The question should not be how long will the timing belt last, but, how long will the water pump last?
After I changed my first belt about 20,000 miles later the water pump went out and took the new belt with it.
My '98 has had three timong belts and two water pumps. When you start hearing the water pump make noise better pull it in the garage and replace a few parts.

K

·
0 Posts
Be careful!

It's not only the way you use the car, so timing belt, but consider also how long thie belt was working. Belts are made of rubber, which though hardened suffers much in the heat of the engine. An the costs of the repair when it breaks are outrageous. So be careful!

S

·
0 Posts
Well, I am at 97,000, hasn't broke yet, thankfully. Although I think it is beginning to slip a bit. I trust highly in Tom and Ray, and they, among other auto enthusiasts insist that with modern engines that a timing belt break does not do as much damage as previously thought. In other cars, we have easily hit 100 grand for mileage, including my old Maxima (175,000, orginal everything but exhaust, filters, fluids, brakes, and 02 censors).

If you live in a climate much like mine in Michigan, it gets warm in the summers, and really cold in the winters. This also causes alot of wear and stress on the belts, so they should be changed a little more frequently.

Ultimately it is up to you, but a little investment now, saves alot later, and gives you the added security.

A

·
0 Posts
SZRimaging said:
auto enthusiasts insist that with modern engines that a timing belt break does not do as much damage as previously thought. .
The engine is non-interference so theory is no damage will happen and I haven't heard or read of anyone who has had a 3S damaged by a belt break ... although I have seen some question as to the slim posibility off the valves hitting.

So you change now it's gonna cost $x - you leave it it may cost a tow + $x - so all you would be down on is a tow.

Having said all this - I'd still change it because I don't really want to break down at all!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Depends on how far you need a tow and with an AWD - it cost me more than the pump and belt! Between my two RAV's I have done 4 belts now so it is getting easier.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally changed the belt, water pump and idler bearings at about 120,000 miles when the water pump started getting really loud and rattly upon startup and for a minute afterward. Belt still looked good. Replaced external belts also for good measure. I hope the new water pump might last 150,000 miles. Anyone know any ways to prolong the life of the water pump (water pump lubricant added to the radiator?).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know that this thread is really old, but here's my 2 cents. A bit over 4 years ago when I bought my '97 automatic it has ~136,000 miles on it. The previous owner claimed that it had always been serviced at a dealer. Anyway, I figured that the timing belt was around a 100,000 mile service. So a few months ago, I had my timing belt and water pump changed at ~201,000 miles. Turns out, it had never been done. My mechanic said that there was play in the pump and it was getting ready to go, and the belt was pretty nackered as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts