Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what setting did you put your Pre-Collision Safety (PCS) on?

After looking that picture, does it make sense to set it to medium sensitivity with a lot of highway driving? I currently set it to the least sensitive setting. I don't drive the car much, it's my wife but her safety is my number one concern. :) (Too bad she doesn't go to this site.)

Pre-Collision Safety | TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION GLOBAL WEBSITE

Does the 2016 RAV4 have
Single-lens camera + Millimeter-wave radar or
Single-lens camera + Laser radar

·
Registered
39 Posts
After looking that picture, does it make sense to set it to medium sensitivity with a lot of highway driving? I currently set it to the least sensitive setting. I don't drive the car much, it's my wife but her safety is my number one concern. :) (Too bad she doesn't go to this site.)

Pre-Collision Safety | TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION GLOBAL WEBSITE

Does the 2016 RAV4 have
Single-lens camera + Millimeter-wave radar or
Single-lens camera + Laser radar
I changed the setting to the highest level but then I thought about it and changed it back to the middle setting. The reason is that at the highest setting, I didn't want the PCS to come on too early or prematurely. I don't know if this would've happened but that was my thinking.

So at the middle setting, my wife was driving and someone cut in front of her, she braked but the PCS braked harder and the car was able to slow down. So the PCS at the middle setting worked for her and we'll leave it at that.

Of course, each instance of when the PCS comes on is different for everyone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have mine on middle for highway and street. I tried the highest level and when there are parked cars on a curve road it will beep too early. It beep at me before I was even starting to turn the wheel. I think the middle is the best.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I keep my radar cruise control on at the closest distance and my PCS at the least sensitive setting (so only one blue bar). Also, I'm fairly certain the 2016 RAV4 has a camera PLUS millimetre wave for the RCC and PCS.

So far, after only 500km I've yet to have the PCS kick in on either highway or city, and the RCC keeps me at a comfortable distance on the highway (similar to the distance I would use if I had no RCC).

·
Registered
283 Posts
My concern is that if you drive aggressively and get fed up with the car in front and finally find a gap to get around them that it could brake just as you get between the 2 cars causing a rear end hit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
In that scenario, if you slid yourself into a gap which is tight-ish, any of the 3 settings will probably slow you down enouch to force the car behind you to break, but I'd put the blame on the aggressive driving in that case.

In my opinion the aggressive RCC + PCS settings still give you enough time to break yourself if you so wanted to. I guess at the end of the day it all comes down to comfort level. I honestly don't think the most aggressive setting is too close, you should try it out in various settings and see what you like.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My concern is that if you drive aggressively and get fed up with the car in front and finally find a gap to get around them that it could brake just as you get between the 2 cars causing a rear end hit.
Does this mean you have the PCS turned off?

For Lane Departure, I had initially set it off but the dealership change it to audible setting and I'me fine with that. I'm just not going to turn on the self-driving feature for Lane Departure but for PCS, that is probably one of the features why many of us opted for TSS package. I read this automatic emergency braking will come to most if not all cars (voluntary initiative) by 2022. It's probably the next big thing after electronic stability control.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. There was a recall on the PCS for 2013-2015 non-RAV4 Toyota models. Hopefully the over-sensitivity to some road debris had been corrected. Perhaps with the RAV4 sitting a little higher, the radar behind the rearview monitor has a better viewing angle.

Toyota recalls pre-collision system on Avalon and ES models

I did read about the PCS in the owner's manual once but just did a quick search and found the one for the Highlander. I'll probably keep the sensitivity to low for now since there are too many false alerts/positives though braking in these conditions are better than not braking at all but it does increase the risk of being rear-ended .

http://www.tohighlander.com/pcs_pre_collision_system_-159.html

·
Registered
248 Posts
It seems like PCS resets itself to medium sensitivity on each restart, even though I have set it to low on the previous trip. I've been setting it through the info screen setup menu. Is there another way to change the default to low?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I set mine through the info screen (steering wheel arrows and the center to enter a menu) just once and it has never reset to the middle setting.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes seems like PCS works just fine. Now we just need something in the back to protect us from the rear enders who don't pay attention or don't know that Rav4s' brakes work! :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts