Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Did an ATF exchange last weekend on my 07 I4 using the method of doing a drain & fill then popping off the return line and draining 1 liter at a time until it was completely filled with new fluid. Also dropped the pan to clean it and replace the gasket which was leaking very slightly.

Anyway, I purchased 3 gallons of Valvoline MaxLife Full-Synthetic ATF as the replacement fluid, so I cycled through 3 gallons, assuming it would level out at the end since I removed as much as I took out, but when I check the dipstick it seems over-filled. Is there a better way of making sure the atf level is correct besides the dipstick? I don't know how it could be over-filled when I removed the exact amount I cycled through. Driving it seems great, it's shifting a lot better.

FYI Rav was at 125k , never had ATF replaced before because Toyota claimed it was "Lifetime"... No real issues shifting (although it did shift kind of hard before the flush) but the ATF looked almost like engine oil it was so black, so I changed it. Pan was coated in a thick layer of sludge, but the mesh filter was in good shape so I just cleaned it and re-used. Lesson learned, don't listen to the manufacturer on everything...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...I removed as much as I took out, but when I check the dipstick it seems over-filled. Is there a better way of making sure the atf level is correct besides the dipstick?...
Are you checking the level on the dipstick with the engine fully warm and while it is running? On my 09 I4, it reads high if engine is shut off, but will read okay on the dipstick with engine on.

Also, did you check the dipstick level of the atf before you did the change to compare what you have now?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, with the engine warmed up and running the dipstick was showing ATF at the perfect level.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts