Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See attachment

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Interesting procedure. It looks like it came from a factory product development and test procedure. How likely will a dealer service department do this due to complexity and time requirements?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
or they could of just left the dipstick! lol

·
Registered
497 Posts
Not just over engineered, it's up side down. Measuring from the bottom up to see how far down the level is.
Reminds me of a coworker relating about checking the tranny - transfer case oil level sight gage by driving beside a 30 ton 6 x 6 at 50 MPH. It can be a chore to determine an oil level that is suitable for all operating conditions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I haven't looked that hard at the tranny yet but perhaps there's no fill hole in the top.? So maybe it's like adding gear lube to an outboard lower unit? Besides..if you walked into the service department and your new rav4 was flipped upside down on a body shop rotisserie you'd freak out...:eek:. I.E....(owner) What the blank are you guys doing to my car????!!!! (Toyo service) Oh..that..we're just checking your fluids. It's part of your toyota care package.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is a ridiculous procedure. It is MUCH to complex and requires expensive Special Service Tools. I wonder what the flat rate time is at a Toyota dealer for measuring the ATF level?? Two hours, or approximately $200.00???

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,451 Posts
28 Years of Toyotas
When do I get a FREE one? :p
1985 Toyota Hilux 1-Ton Pickup Truck
1986 Toyota Camry Sedan (kid crunched)
1991 Toyota Camry Station Wagon
1992 Toyota Corolla (kid crunched)
1993 Toyota Tercel
1994 Toyota T-100 Pickup Truck
2001 Toyota RAV4
2003 Toyota Matrix XR
2003 Toyota Tundra SR5 Pickup Truck
2005 Toyota ECHO (kid crunched)
2005 Scion xB
2013 Toyota RAV4 LTD Magnetic Gray, Terra Cotta
Sounds to me like your kids owe you a free one! I've got 4 grown kids, and only one crunched car between them!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Wow, looks more like Aviation service work, than a good old Toyota!. what a shame manufacturers have to do this kind of crap, hell, they do not even have to do it!, just stick to what works, and has worked, for decades!.

This is what irks me about modern cars, I love a lot of them, but I will be buggered if I will really enjoy owning one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes your right as rain , what is this crap will be flipping soon
Not happy new owner when I find things like this
No leaks & dump end of free service

No cheers here

·
Registered
104 Posts
I get pissed every time I think about the absence of a dip stick, makes me think about selling it for that reason only. I know I would have never purchased it if I had known about it before.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Never heard about this, this is a big change. I was a big advocate of the new 6spd transmissions for the 4.4 for being much more efficient than the ancient 4spd in the 4.3 but this ATF procedure has completely changed my opinion about he 4.4 to the point where it is a deal breaker. Just looking at that pdf gave me a headache wow Toyota really dropped the ball here.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,451 Posts
Never heard about this, this is a big change. I was a big advocate of the new 6spd transmissions for the 4.4 for being much more efficient than the ancient 4spd in the 4.3 but this ATF procedure has completely changed my opinion about he 4.4 to the point where it is a deal breaker. Just looking at that pdf gave me a headache wow Toyota really dropped the ball here.
It's all about money. No dipstick makes it cheaper for Toyota to manufacture, and a sealed system means more money for the dealerships.

·
Registered
599 Posts
It's all about money. No dipstick makes it cheaper for Toyota to manufacture, and a sealed system means more money for the dealerships.
loads of manufacturers are doing this :(, my ML270 has a dipstick tube and drain on the pan, but no actual stick. I imagine Mercedes tech's use their own tool to measure and analyse the ATF in the box when serviced at the dealer. I am just going to dump it and refill with the exact same amount until I find out more!.

·
Registered
12 Posts
loads of manufacturers are doing this :(, my ML270 has a dipstick tube and drain on the pan, but no actual stick. I imagine Mercedes tech's use their own tool to measure and analyse the ATF in the box when serviced at the dealer. I am just going to dump it and refill with the exact same amount until I find out more!.
^^ Agree with this. If a person catches all the ATF fluid when you remove the drain plug and put exactly the same amount back that you removed, everything should be good. You will be happy and Toyota Service Department -not so much.:laugh

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yep, its mainly for flushing tho, you still have a lot of old fluid left in the torque converter.

Ideally, you drop the fluid and pan, taking account of exactly how much came out (provided the AT has not been leaking! thats a whole new ballgame). replace filter and pan gasket, Fill it with mesured amount of new fluid, remove AT cooler outlet line and attach an extension back to your now empty measuring canister, run engine until bubbles come out of line, measure fluid discharged out of the return line, and replace with fresh stuff. do that 2 - 3 times and the AT is flushed well enough to go back into service.

Just dumping the fluid is kinda "half doing it" because there is so much more trapped in the valve body, torque converter, and AT cooler.

If the fluid is still healthy looking and smelling, I purge mine 2 times, if its black and nasty and I am trying to save the AT's life, I purge it 4 - 5 times, provided the box is still working properly, if its slipping, its probably too late.

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
This is a nightmare. I guess Toyota is dead serious no one puts non-approved fluids in their newest tranny.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, my 2013 Rav has 16k miles. I have been accumulating parts for the 30k oil change. I have a Mityvac 7201 which can remove and refill the fluid and the adapter (10002-00101-3) for the fill tube.

I'll pick a day next summer to change the fluid. Unless someone beats me to it, I'll do a complete write up with pictures on how it goes.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 52 Posts