Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is super complicated. I did on mine 2012 ct200H (gen III Prius platform) at 62K miles, and it was a piece of cake. After WS fluid change, the CVT became more responsive and was a lot quieter. Located the filler bolt, cracked it open before draining it. It splashed little bit, and filled it up using a hand pump. I watched a Youtube whereas this guy drained his fluid only to find out that his filler bolt was "frozen shut" !!! PS: There was no dip stick for the transmission for my car.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Here's another link I found on YouTube for changing the tranny fluid on a non dipstick engine without all the expensive equipment. I don't know if I would want to try it on my 2015 Rav when I get to 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You Need To Watch This !You Tube Video On how this works!

You have to watch this video and it will give you a good Idea of just what is going on. Go to YouTube and type this in the search box "Toyota Transaxle Fluid Level Check - No Dipstick" It is a video from the WeberAuto channel...from the Weber State University Automotive Technology Department. Enjoy! This is crazy as crap. These engineers need to have their heads examined. Like someone said earlier, do you really think these mechanics are going to follow all these rules to a T, and if they do, it will be a miracle. And don't take it to a quick lube joint and let them check it, you will for sure be in trouble. Even if I had the dealer check it, I would would print off the PDF file and want to be standing right there as the mechanic was checking it making sure he was following all the steps correctly. This is just plain ridiculous! There has to be a better way, I'm going to keep an eye out on you tube to see if anyone comes up with a better solution. Maybe a scan tool that will tell the exact temp of the fluid would be helpful then maybe you could do it yourself making sure the car is level and all that stuff. Crazy.....Crazy.....Crazy.....I would love to meet the engineer who came up with this BS.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ravster2015 That is a pretty good video. He seems to be doing it right according to the other video I said you need to watch from my other post. He is doing it without all the fancy tools. Like he said take your time and at least you will know it was done right. This whole thing is just crazy and is just unbelievable that Toyota would do something this crazy. There should just be a cold check plug or a hot check plug that you can take out and check when it is cold or hot, sorta like a dif plug on the rear end of a truck. Make sure the vehicle is level and the fluid is level with the hole depending on what hole you are checking. There has to be a simpler way. This sorta stuff will drive a man nuts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That may not work .

^^ Agree with this. If a person catches all the ATF fluid when you remove the drain plug and put exactly the same amount back that you removed, everything should be good. You will be happy and Toyota Service Department -not so much.:laugh
That is only a good theory if you have not leaked any ATF and or it had the correct amount from the beginning and if you are not 100% sure of that your theory will now work.

·
Registered
203 Posts
That is only a good theory if you have not leaked any ATF and or it had the correct amount from the beginning and if you are not 100% sure of that your theory will now work.
I guess we will only know if it works if someone tries it and posts their results here.

·
Registered
119 Posts
There is an updated version the video posted above where he's using a scantool to read the fluid temp:

https://youtu.be/maK7HsGEEls

Why not change the filter thou? Hrmpf.

I'm not looking forward to this nonsense down the road. Also, it sounds like my dealer just uses a flush machine. How does the factory feel about that? Does anyone know?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Hey Guys,

This procedure is for shops that can't wait for a car or truck to cool down. So Toyota created these extra tools and procedures to be able to pull a car in and start on it immediately.

I've posted a procedure for doing a drain and fill at home in your garage for about $70 in supplies in the mechanical section.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you do a search on ebay for Toyota & Lexus Sealed Transmission Fluid Replacement Kit it looks to be a viable alternative to adding ATF.

·
Super Moderator
9,114 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
41 - 52 of 52 Posts