Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the ATF level in my 05 RAV4 is low (after heating up the engine, checking the dip stick with engine running shows a bit below the HOT mark).

I'm wondering how to top it off? The ATF bottle says "add only when transmission is cold". However, I understand that the right way of reading the dipstick is with engine warm and running. So which level should I top it off to?

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
Drive the RAV around for 20 minutes and then check the level.
You will be amazed how much it rises when well heated.
Just starting the engine for a few minutes in your driveway might not show the actual HOT level.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drive the RAV around for 20 minutes and then check the level.
You will be amazed how much it rises when well heated.
Just starting the engine for a few minutes in your driveway might not show the actual HOT level.
Thanks vanib. I'll do that. If the level is low then too, should I be adding the fluid when the engine is running and at normal temperature until the HOT mark?

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
That's what I do :)
Add a little at a time.
Some cars just take a pint to go from Low to High and it is more work to drain excess fluid. Avoid unnecessary work.
Also make sure the RAV is parked as flat as possible.

A few days ago, I parked in front of house on the road, which I thought was pretty level and it showed that my ATF was low.
I drove it into my garage and the level was in the HOT zone!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I do :)
Add a little at a time.
Some cars just take a pint to go from Low to High and it is more work to drain excess fluid. Avoid unnecessary work.
Also make sure the RAV is parked as flat as possible.

A few days ago, I parked in front of house on the road, which I thought was pretty level and it showed that my ATF was low.
I drove it into my garage and the level was in the HOT zone!
You were right. I drove around town for 20 minutes and now it shows a tad above the HOT zone. I think I'm going to leave it for now, as I'll be changing the fluid as soon as I get my magnefine filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts