Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone attempted to steal my Rav4 1998, I have replaced the destroyed ignition barrel, but it will not remain fired up. It turns over but promptly cuts out. Any ideas?

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Am not familiar with your model RAAV4, but is it possible that the thieves cut or damaged a wire or ignition switch connection between the ignition switch and an anti-theft module which has to have electrical continuity for the engine to continue running after the engine has been started? Or caused a related fuse to blow?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The whole ignition barrel and steering module has now been replaced, the battery died when they attempted to steal, im going to recharge battery fully and open the door with the battery connected, have a feeling the immobiliser is causing the problem. Also the new barrel came with a different key, does this need programming?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
There is a cure for auto theft. It's 9 millimeters wide.
Not on that side of the pond.
On this side, all that's needed to prevent 98% of thefts is a manual transmission.

·
Registered
1 Posts
  1. I changed the Ignition Ignition switch on a 98 rap for now it won't startAnd throwing APO 340 codeI did not unhooked the battery when I change the Ignition switch what do I do to fix this problem

·
Registered
638 Posts
p0340 is the code for the camshaft position sensor. With the hood up, stand next to the right front wheel and look at the rear of the upper timing cover. Here is where to look:

More clues:

Check this sensor's wiring harness for breaks in the wiring or chafing of same. Check its resistance:
Camshaft position sensor (1998-00 Rav4s).
cold 835 - 1400 ohms
hot 1060 - 1645 ohms

1 - 11 of 11 Posts