Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car to the carwash yesterday and it riped off my spare tire cover! scratched it all up and made some paint spiderwebs where it hit the ground.
I don't know if it was the wash or the super dryer that knocked it off, but it should have been taken off before the wash.
just a warning to those who take their Rav's to the car wash.
of course the carwash is paying for it, but it's just a hassle tha should have been avoided. Plus the dang cover cost $380 from the stealership! :x

·
Registered
652 Posts
antirich said:
I took mine off on day 3. Jsut a little too easy to be removed, which translates to theft!
Who cares if someone steals it if you don't have it on your car anyway? Guess it comforting to know it's not stolen sitting in the garage. :D

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
mcjaco said:
So between these two threads am I correct that if you have a Limited model the tire cover will survive a car wash and if you have a Base or Sport model you need to remove the cover before going through the car wash :?:

On Edit:
So has anyone that has had this happen called the Toyota Customer Care number and reported it??

At a minimum Toyota should send out an advisory. Long term they should re-engineer the cover

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have not seen the Limited's cover up close. I'm assuming the lock might keep it on????

The elastic band does not cover enough of the the spare tire, the air from the dryer basically blows up under it and stretches the elastic band.....and away the cover goes. Now I've been in three different auto washes and only the one has done it (that was the last time I ran it through one).

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been through the carwash either 2 or 3 times so far, and haven't had it rip the cover off yet. If it ever does I'll probably just leave it off. Being I have a sport I think the alloy wheel will look just fine back there.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think no cover looks good but I'm baised. :D I took mine off and its still sitting in my storage unit, I'm just too lazy to get it right now.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It looks fine without the cover. Of course, it's a Sport model that comes with an alloy spare. The Limited and Base have a steel spare wheel.

·
Registered
758 Posts
but I would somehow try to modify a CENTER CAP to fit that hole in the center
Good point Kelly, I took my cover off and see what you mean. I didn’t notice that from the picture posted here. Time to get creative, good catch :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Is this problem only for the 4.3s? I've taken mine to a car wash many times (only when necessary cuz i don't like those places), and i had no problems with mine. I have a base model and the vynil and elastic thing is still pretty strong.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It's not the strength, it's the width of the rawhide cover. It's not wide enough and, doesn't cover enough of the spare tire. The blowers blow wind up under the cover and it's like a hot air ballon, the elastic stretches out from the the gusts and the cover just blows right off.

Speaking of which, the car wash lef me a message late Friday, it'll be interesting to see what their take is on this. I'm still thinking Toyota needs to be notified as well.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just got off the phone with the car wash. They are kindly reimbursing me 50% off the loss. I really was surprised, as I felt this is a design defect from Toyota.

He also stated that Toyota has been informed of this problem through some sort of International Car Wash Association of some sort but, that I should notify Toyota as well, as they are very good at reimbursing the cost of the damages or replacement of the cover. I guess this was an issue on the 4.2 as well????

·
Registered
179 Posts
What size tires do you have? Maybe I should also ask, is the cover the same no matter what size tires? If you have 18" tires then maybe it can't grip around far enough? Looking at the cover on my 17" tires, I'd guess that there's plenty of grip; haven't actually tried to remove the cover yet. My 96 RAV had the all vinyl cover and it was darn hard to get on and off, no way it could blow off even with the car wash blowers.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a Sport with the 18".

You don't think they use the same cover for the 17" wheels, do you? That would be rather stupid.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts