Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the audio amplifier located on a RAV4.4? I would like to investigate the possibility of replacing the amp as part of a speaker upgrade. If possible, I would like to use the same 12v circut and location for a new amp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Solved

I have been told the amplifier on a Rav4 without the JBL audio system is integrated within the head unit. I plan on running an 8 AWG wire from the battery to under the passenger seat to power a 50W RMS X 4 amplifier. Then I will run the factory speaker level outputs from the head unit to the new amplifier, and run speaker wire with the speaker level signal back behind the headunit to join up with the car's existing wiring.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have been told the amplifier on a Rav4 without the JBL audio system is integrated within the head unit. I plan on running an 8 AWG wire from the battery to under the passenger seat to power a 50W RMS X 4 amplifier. Then I will run the factory speaker level outputs from the head unit to the new amplifier, and run speaker wire with the speaker level signal back behind the headunit to join up with the car's existing wiring.
Maybe it's just me, but that makes no sense what so ever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but that makes no sense what so ever.
This makes perfect sense. I'm doing the same thing.

1) Tap into the factory head unit, and cut the speaker wires.
2) The splice new speaker wires to the speaker wires still attached to the head unit and run that to the line converter in.
3) Use RCA out on the line converter and feed to the amplifier.
4) Run wires from the amplifier out back to the speaker wires that were cut behind the head unit. The speaker wires that were cut are still connected to all of the speakers. Just splice the amp wires to the speaker wires behind the head unit, and this eliminates running wires to all the locations.

Downside is that your adding 17 to 20 ft of wire between the amp and speaker wires running from behind the head unit. This means losing power efficiency if sticking with the original 18 guage factory wires. However, if using a more powerful amp with at least 4 guage power and ground should compensate. That's my theory. I also checked efficiency using Rockford Fosgate's power efficiency calculator on their website. I'm using 2/0 AWG OFC copper welding wire for power and ground, so I'm pretty sure I"ll be okay. Just need to make sure I don't burn out my speaker wires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts