Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a cd receiver for my rav. After i took out the stock radio i noticed that there were plugs going into the radio. And on my new cd receiver there are individual wires coming out. Do i need to buy a kit or cut the plugs and trace the wires to the speakers and attach them to the receiver. Please help. thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Buy the kit, if you cut the plugs and ever decide to go back, or even change the stereo again, you will be sorry. The kit will tell you what wire goes to what wire off the stereo. You can do without but the kit would be money well spent!

I install stereo's for friends all the time and no matter how good a friend they are I refuse to do it without the kit anymore, not worth the headache, with the kit you can work on all the wires sitting at a table and plug it in when your done, working on wires that get shorter with every mistake while sitting in a car with noplace to put the stereo down is a nightmare. You never have enough hands.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dude that helped a ton, and saved me from a mistake. i could pick one of those kits up at like circuit city or something right?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should work, but I personally stand by Stinger components. I have had them in two cars, and they always did the job perfect. The actual install will be really easy. Positive to positive, and the colors match from the harness to the Headunit. I usually go to a shop for the first one though, that way they can run a really good ground (although that is really easy). The tools you will need are a screwdriver, maybe a wrench (or nut driver prefferbly, they work great), wire strippers, crimpers, and a good amount of crimp caps. The actual process is easy. If you need the step by step, just ask.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks dude, one last thing. where can i get the stinger harness? thanks

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your local car audio place probably. Almost everyone I go to has Stinger. and the harness price is usually around 12 bucks (at least in rural MI, not sure other places). Stinger is one of the biggest names in car audio. They don't really make subs or anything, they specialize in wiring and power solutions.

But towards where to get it, any good little car audio place should have Stinger, or someone similar. And they should have the harness in stock, so no wait time if you were going to mail order it. Otherwise, I think Crutchfields(www.crutchfields.com) sells Stinger.

The biggest thing to look for is that the harness is made for your vehicle, and exactly what material the wiring is made out of. The better it conducts, the better the sound you get. Wiring makes a huge difference (Stinger for car and Accoustic Reasearch for home, cause I am to cheap for Monster).

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, and on a side note, what headunit did you get?

·
Registered
97 Posts
importtuner said:
This has plugs on both ends, and the description reads like it is designed for a specific brand of radio, the one you need has a RAV4 plug on one end and bare wires on the other.

Stinger is good stuff!

Oh if your new deck isn't the same size make sure you also get the instalation kit, this is a plastic frame that fits in the hole in the dash and has a standard 1 Din hole for aftermarket stereos.

This is for a 4.2 but the same idea:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metra-Toyota-Custom-Installation-Kit-99-8202-/sem/rpsm/oid/81040/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the reciever fits, so i dont think that ill need to get a kit for that

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The harness from Circuit City is called a "Smart harness." That one you linked was the right one for a 4.1 RAV4. It will have the Toyota plugs on one end, and a universal plug on the other end. Depending on which radio you bought, they might have one that connect to your radio with another universal plug on the other end. Then you just plug the two together. They are awesome. You don't have to do any wiring. Just plug them together and plug in your new radio. They only have the radio side for the brands they carry. What kind did you buy?

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
would the harness from crutchfield work? my radio just has wires coming out the back

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah. The harness from Crutchfield will work. You should be able to simply match colors on the two harnesses (red to red, yellow to yellow, etc) and wire them together. I always solder all of my connections with these harnesses, but you could use crimp connectors too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts