650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An Auto Dim Rear View Mirror would be a cool mod for a 4.1 :thumbs_up:

How hard do you think it would be?

Anyone try it?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My RAV is so fast that people can't catch up to me to blind me with their headlights. :lol: Just kidding.

I've never seen an auto dimming rear view mirror in action, so can't really comment on how cool it would be. :cry: I usually use that little lever thing underneath the mirror to flip up when blinded from behind. :shock:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The idea came to mind because the tab/lever thingy just broke on me :(

Instead of simply replacing, why not upgrade :lol:

·
Registered
779 Posts
Sorry to hear the lever broke. That is the first time I have heard of that on a Toyota, but it does not surprise me.

I love Toytotas. So sound mechanically, but such a shambles for an interior. All plasticy and flimsy without exception.

One day I'm gonna get me a Lexus and suck on wood 'n' leather.

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I too was looking into these when I got my RAV. I really wanted one of these auto dimming Rearview mirrors with the Compass and Temperature until I found out they were like $250.00. Damn, even the cheap ones with just auto dimming start at over $100.00. I can justify alot to my woman, but $200+ dollars for a rearview mirror, I would be dead before my Butt hit the floor! Here is a link anyway for all the rich guys!!! :twisted:

http://www.autoanything.com/mirrors/20A50633A1.aspx

·
Registered
200 Posts
My mom's new Subaru Legacy has the auto-dimming mirror with compass. Works very nicely. Had a Dodge Ram following me one night while I was driving my mom's car and never had a problem with the truck's lights glaring in my eyes.

I wonder if I can retro fit that mirror onto my RAV if I ordered it from the Subaru dealer. I really like the compass feature since I'm not always that great with directions.

M

·
0 Posts
I swapped an autodim into my girlfriend' RAV4. She is japanese and never really could figure out how to switch to night time mode :)

I bought a simple one with just compass and autodimm from JC whitney. They have ones with temp, UV, garage door openners and all kinds of sensors.

At first I ran power from the overhead map lights, but that was a bad idea as that circuit is constant 12V. It did not drain the battery but I was afraid it would eventually. Next I just vampired off of a switched circuit (us the fuse vampire rahter then wire tap if you can) and used the radio circuit as it is 12V switched. Then just tuck the wires behind the plastic pillar and top headlined and have it coe out of the top front center. Very easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts