Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As many of you know, the 4.3 RAV4 does not lock the doors automatically like most other cars do. So those clever Chinese engineers developed a small module that when plugged into the OBD port under the dash does just that. In March of 2013 I ordered one from Aliexpress for all of $15 and have been using it until today. We discussed it in this thread:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/98873-2006-2012-rav4-door-auto-lock.html

The one I got was model number CFT01-3, and yes, it does lock the doors when the vehicle speed exceeds 12 mph, but it also had some annoying "bonus" features. For example, when any door is opened, it flashes the hazard lights 5 times. Every time, day or night. Also, when the headlights are on and you lock the vehicle either with the door switch or the remote, the high beams turn on for 5 seconds. Pointless since the low beams are already on. Finally, after stopping the vehicle and putting the gearshift into Park, it unlocks the doors. I hated this "feature" especially at a drive through. The last thing I want to do when making a cash deposit at the bank is to have all the doors unlock!

So I decided to order the new and improved version, model number CFT01-2, which had good reviews at Aliexpress. I paid $16 but it's now on sale for $12.24:

Automatic Door Lock Closing CANBUS OBD system For TOYOTA New Vios Corolla RAV4 Car speed lock device Free shipping-in Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I recommend paying the extra $1.32 for China Air Mail as mine took over a month to get here using the free Swiss Mail.

Anyway, this newer module has eliminated all the "bonus" features and just does what it's supposed to do. Start the car, shift into Drive, and when you reach 12 mph, the doors lock. Stop the car, open a door for a passenger to get out, when you get to 12 mph again, the door re-locks. Stop the car, put it in Park, nothing happens UNTIL you turn off the ignition. Then, all the doors unlock! Perfect, just what I wanted. I highly recommend this newer model, and at 12 bucks it's a steal! The new module looks just like these pictures except it has a T01-2 sticker applied:

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
Many thanks, James! This new model is much more what I need - the old one's annoying features put me off getting it.

·
16,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a silver RAV4 getting carjacked! If only they had the auto door lock module:

·
Premium Member
4,250 Posts
James, I've lived in Johannesburg and almost got carjacking myself, I spotted them under an overpass around midnight, I quickly put the BMW in reverse and did a high-speed u-turn and escaped.

In the case of this Rav4 carjacking there was no possibility of escape, they were blocked in and one of the perps had an AK47, even if the doors were locked they had no choice but to unlock the doors and hope for the best.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Great tip, I just ordered one. Thanks!

EDIT:
Well that didn't go so well after all. I got an "automated" Email from AliExpress asking me to send them a photo of passport or driver's license along with a photo of my credit card and bank statement. Haha, ok. NO!

Furthermore I looked at the listing a little more closely and noticed it say the part is designed for 2008-2012 model years. Mine is 2007 so I'm not even sure it's compatible despite being a 3rd generation Rav4.

·
Registered
100 Posts
OBD port

Junebug,
This goes into the OBD port. Is it as simple as plugging it in and unplugging when you need to use the port or is there programing involved.

·
16,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Junebug,
This goes into the OBD port. Is it as simple as plugging it in and unplugging when you need to use the port or is there programing involved.
Yep, it's plug and play. When I take it in for the inspection sticker, the guy simply unplugs it to connect his computer, then plugs it back. They probably think it's one of those Progressive Insurance snapshot modules.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just ordered 2

·
Registered
256 Posts
:)........

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
There is a down side to these...

The 05 Accord I sold before becoming a Rav owner suddenly had a problen where the doors would not lock using keyfob. It was determined the driver door lock actuator was worn out and it was not a cheap or easy fix.
With my Rav I am actually babying the door locks by going manual when its just me.

Less use = longer life
These will cause constant use

·
Registered
256 Posts

The 05 Accord I sold before becoming a Rav owner suddenly had a problen where the doors would not lock using keyfob. It was determined the driver door lock actuator was worn out and it was not a cheap or easy fix.
With my Rav I am actually babying the door locks by going manual when its just me.

Less use = longer life
How would this be any different if it came programmed from the manufactured like most cars do? Or are you saying general usage causes wear and tear?

·
16,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Less use = longer life
Just the opposite from my experience. I had a Nissan Quest that I bought used and the driver's door lock actuator (the one that got used the most) was the only one that worked perfectly. The others were flaky as hell, and I replaced them with generic actuators from Amazon.

·
Registered
97 Posts
How would this be any different if it came programmed from the manufactured like most cars do? Or are you saying general usage causes wear and tear?

Just saying the more it gets used the faster it fails...I understand wanting this option but it comes at a price. I have a 07...I don't want to hurry its untimely replacement.

·
Registered
71 Posts
[/B]

Just saying the more it gets used the faster it fails...I understand wanting this option but it comes at a price. I have a 07...I don't want to hurry its untimely replacement.
There is a fine line to use it less and save it and don't use it and be inconvenienced. I could park the rav4 in the garage and not drive it ever - will be in perfect condition 10 years from now, but was the point of buying it then. Or I could use it and enjoy and do a replacement of ____ part when it fails.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sure... My point of view is strictly cost savings down the road & a friendly suggestion to help those who may not consider the down side of it costing you in repairs later...That's all

·
Registered
778 Posts
mainly ALL new cars have the auto lock feature. if you are worried about wearing out parts then i guess you dont drive at all? when you see a bump in the road, do you stop driving and head back inorder to lessen the wear and tear on your suspension? Do you not use your headlights in order to make the battery last longer?

Do you ever sit in the car at idle for no reason?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
About this Discussion
81 Replies
33 Participants
rav4pro
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing