Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that the RAV4 comes with the ability to have auto door locking activated once the ignition key is turned on, in other territories, but this feature is disabled in the UK for legal reasons.

However, the car obviously has the latent ability to do this, which is something I'd like to enable if at all possible on my wife's XT4, given that there were 700 car-jackings in London last year and rising. (And she's not great and remembering to lock them manually!).

Does anyone know if it's possible to enable this feature DIY. (I know the Uk dealers won't do it, even though they could, as I've asked them to already!).

Many thanks

TT 8)

R

·
0 Posts
i belive your local toyota dealer sould be able to activate this with there inteligent tester

O

·
0 Posts
Your dealer should be able to enable this feature, ours did this from new, and I asked them to disable it.

If it is too much like hard work for your dealer to do, then bin them and find someone else, dont tolerate fools

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'll hassle the dealer again on it next time it's in.

Failing that I'll try someone else. I was led to believe Toyota UK actually FORBID them to do it on legal grounds. But would appear that's obviously not the case.

Cheers

TT :D

S

·
0 Posts
There are no legal grounds or laws that forbid Toyota GB from performing this modifications for auto locking and the Toyota dealers should not be charging for this either. Many new cars have this feature.

Toyota Europe/GB should have written a small paragraph in the owners manual explaining how to enable/disable the Auto locking feature instead of wasting dealers and owners time and money.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scott

Thanks, interesting to know. Is it possible to do this oneself then rather than taking it back to a dealer?

I vaguely remember seeing a TSB a long time back, something to the effect of - open drivers door, switch ignition on and off (without starting engine) 5 times until get buzzer sound then a) close door to active auto locking, or b) leave door open for 30 secs to deactivate, or something like that.

But I didn't pay much attention at the time or print / bookmark it, as I presumed this was only a user "switch" if the car had been factory enabled to auto-lock, and when I bought the car I specifically asked the dealer if this was possible, and they said Toyota GB disables it for all UK cars!.

Any thoughts?

By the way, I used to follow a lot of your old posts in the previous RAV4 Forum, before you went Lexus and then came back to RAV. Why did you ditch the Lexus so quickly? - I thought they were supposed to be the paragon of dealer customer service and excellent cars?

(Only ask because I'm contemplating the RX400 Hybrid. The RAV4 is the bosses car (The Mrs that is! - hence why I'm so keen on getting the auto-locking sorted for her in this delightful crime free country we now live in), and don't want to make a huge mistake if the Lexus PR is all hype.

Cheers

TT :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts