Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Auto Headlights Issue. Please Help!

2275 Views 53 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  stan773
I'm having issues with my auto headlights not automatically turning on when it's twilight or night time when I drive. I can manually turn it on and when the windshield wipers are on, the headlights also automatically turn on when it's on the automatic setting. I went to a local Toyota dealership and asked them to check the light senor on the car and they stated that it is working properly. I'm not sure if it might be a fuse or what. If anyone has a clue why this might be happening it will be greatly appreciated!
My vehicle is a 2019 XLE Premium.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
1,204 Posts
If the lights do come on at some point (perhaps when it is darker) then it isn't a fuse fuse enables or disables a circuit, it won't make something partially work.

There is a sensitivity level adjustment in your infotainment screen. Double check your owners manual, it may be in the MID display.

The sensitivity is for long it takes to react. There are many discussions of people stating they don't come on until after they exit a tunnel, therefore they adjust the sensitivity and lights come on more quickly. Worth a shot for you.
I guess the difficult part of this one is "what time is twilight" and how can somebody confirm theirs is working differently than yours.
I do not use auto headlights. If I did though I suppose I could drive around for an hour and tell you what time the lights came on. However the local lighting from street lights and/or the shadows from the mountains may cast differently than the mountains in your city so I guess there is no way for me to confirm that yours work like you expect them to.

I hope I answered your actual question.
You say they don't work at twilight or dark but that thay work when you have it in auto settings. The part about manually turning on with the wipers confused me too.

Maybe start over and explain what headlight mode you are in. When you expect the lights to come on. If they do ever turn on automatically.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry for the confusion.

I’ve tried changing the sensitivity on the infotainment screen but that didn’t help. Driving during midnight while on the auto setting for my headlights do not work. I can however manually turn on the headlights by switching off from the auto headlights settings when I drive in the dark. I can make a full 15 minute drive without my headlights turning on automatically, even though it is on the automatic setting.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve had this problem for a while and I’ve driven through rain while having the headlights setting to auto and the headlights automatically turn in when I turn on the windshield wipers.

I’ve googled why this might be and supposedly manufacturers purposely make the headlights turn on when the wipers are on for convenience.

In short, automatic headlights don’t turn on, even at midnight. Adjusting the sensitivity of the lights from the infotainment screen doesn’t work. Switching off from auto and manually turn on the headlights myself works. Toyota dealership stated that my light sensor for the headlights work properly. Having the headlights on the auto setting and turning on my wipers turn on my headlights. However, after turning the wipers off and driving at night the headlights switches off automatically.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Make sure the auto headlight button on the bottom dash is on and also on auto on the lever.
I think this is the first time I’ve heard about the auto headlights button on the dash. I’ve always been using the lever for the automation of my headlights. Where exactly is the automatic button located on my dash?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The button with the (A) is the auto headlight button should be green when on. The high beams is turned on by pushing the turns setting a level
Here is a picture of the green light of the automatic button turned on as well as the lever being in the auto position. The headlights still do not turn on automatically

Attachments

· Registered
1,204 Posts
The headlight button on the dash panel is for auto-highbeams, not associated to auto headlights.

There is one other person who in the past week or two has commented that their auto headlights are not working either.
Toyota must have made 2 vehicles with flawed sensors. ha
That user is considering it to be faulty switch but has nothing solid to based that on.

The headlight/wiper integration is a safety feature. Some states (or at least California) have a law indicating headlights must be on when the wipers are on. I would assume your lights are controlled by the circuit with wipers, however you'd think it needs a light sensor to know it should light the headlights, unless they default to on regardless of how bright it is while raining.

I haven't driven in the rain yet and I don't use auto headlights so I can't help prove/disprove any of these experiences.

· Registered
64 Posts
There is a light sensor on the dashboard. Do you have any added lights illuminating it? Blocking it all the time?

During daylight, covering the sensor should turn on the full headlights. I expect that this is the test your dealer did.

Rectangle Font Parallel Drawing Art

Organism Font Terrestrial plant Circle Screenshot

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There is a light sensor on the dashboard. Do you have any added lights illuminating it? Blocking it all the time?

During daylight, covering the sensor should turn on the full headlights. I expect that this is the test your dealer did.

View attachment 190121

View attachment 190120
Nothing is covering or illuminating that area of my dash. Even covering it doesn’t turn on the auto headlights.

Attachments

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does not look like button is green. The button next to the dimmer switch is for auto headlight. High beams are cut on by pushing the turn signal lever forward.
I only have one button that turns green in that area. In the picture near the bottom left you can see a green light and that’s where it’s coming from, that button you’re mentioning.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts