Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Auto Headlights Issue. Please Help!

2222 Views 53 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  stan773
I'm having issues with my auto headlights not automatically turning on when it's twilight or night time when I drive. I can manually turn it on and when the windshield wipers are on, the headlights also automatically turn on when it's on the automatic setting. I went to a local Toyota dealership and asked them to check the light senor on the car and they stated that it is working properly. I'm not sure if it might be a fuse or what. If anyone has a clue why this might be happening it will be greatly appreciated!
My vehicle is a 2019 XLE Premium.
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

· Registered
1,214 Posts
The 2019 model operates the auto-highbeam differently than the 2022, however I believe the button has always been for auto-highbeams.
I don't have a 2019 to confirm.

So OP, flip on the auto-highbeam button then see if your auto headlights work.
Otherwise, we're going to continue talking in circles.
I will say the 2019 does need the stalk in the forward position AND the auto highbeam button "ON" for auto highbeams to work.
In 2022 it has been simplified. With the dash button pressed "ON", regardless of stalk position, the auto highbeam will function. We had a talk about that a few months ago.
I don't remember in that discussion anybody saying the auto highbeams button has to be on for the auto lights to function.
The snip is from the 2022 manual, so perhaps the words that say push the auto highbeam button is new for 2022 also.

· Registered
440 Posts
Button with the (a) is for auto headlights and will show (a) in the instrument panel if you want auto hightbeams to work with it you must push the lever forward and will turn on blue light in instrument panel when needed. If auto H/L is off highbeam will only work if you push the lever and you will see the blue light.

· Registered
1,214 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, I do not have a 2019.

I did review the 2019 owners manual and it says nothing about enabling the dash switch to active auto headlights. Similar to the 2022 model, the section for auto high beams says to turn on the switch as part of the auto high beam operation.
Auto high beams are a separate discussion so lets focus on if the button must be 'on' for the auto HEADLIGHTS to function while the stalk is on the 'auto' position.

So based on the owners manual, the dash button has zero effect on the headlight auto operation in 2019.

I'll call @JFox562 to run a test for us.
JFOX, OP is having issues with his auto headlights. Do you leave your AHB button on in order to active the auto headlights?

· Registered
1,214 Posts
Didnt know there was a difference in the 19 and 22. The 22 is just 1 click on the stalk and that button turns on auto highbeam.
Yeah, a few months ago there was a discussion about AHB. That's when we discovered it was changed to be a more simple operation in 2022.

What I haven't touched on yet is if the actual auto headlights have changed.
The owners manual for auto headlights and AHB would indicate headlights function the same, AHB is different.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The 2019 model operates the auto-highbeam differently than the 2022, however I believe the button has always been for auto-highbeams.
I don't have a 2019 to confirm.

So OP, flip on the auto-highbeam button then see if your auto headlights work.
Otherwise, we're going to continue talking in circles.
I will say the 2019 does need the stalk in the forward position AND the auto highbeam button "ON" for auto highbeams to work.
In 2022 it has been simplified. With the dash button pressed "ON", regardless of stalk position, the auto highbeam will function. We had a talk about that a few months ago.
I don't remember in that discussion anybody saying the auto highbeams button has to be on for the auto lights to function.
The snip is from the 2022 manual, so perhaps the words that say push the auto highbeam button is new for 2022 also.
Auto headlights work. I need to turn the button on and then push the lever/stalk forward to engage the automatic high beams.

enabling the button and pushing the lever/stalk forward displays a green high beam with an “A” on my instrument cluster. When no cars are present in front of my car, the high beam engages automatically with the blue high beams light on.

· Registered
440 Posts
On my 2020 xle premium the (A) button must be green for the auto headlights to work. If you want the highbeams in auto just leave the lever pushed forward. I've been using it this way for 2 years and works great the car will cut on the low beams when it starts getting dark and high beams on dark roads if no other lights are around. The (A) button will only turn on the low beams if the highbeams are not needed.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
On my 2020 xle premium the (A) button must be green for the auto headlights to work. If you want the highbeams in auto just leave the lever pushed forward. I've been using it this way for 2 years and works great the car will cut on the low beams when it starts getting dark and high beams on dark roads if no other lights are around. The (A) button will only turn on the low beams if the highbeams are not needed.
Well I’ve had this car since 2019 and I bought it new. Maybe it’s different from 2019 and 2020 but this issue started a couple of months ago. Even now when I have that button turned on with the green light, the auto low beam headlights still don’t turn on in a dark environment. Any ideas?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
If you're sure everything is set properly then it may be a bad sensor, I would have it checked.
I had it checked just yesterday at a Toyota dealership. They said the sensor worked properly. I’ve attached the papers they gave me but if no one has a clue why the auto low beams aren’t automatically turning on then I might just have to go to the dealership again.

Attachments

· Registered
63 Posts
Nothing is covering or illuminating that area of my dash. Even covering it doesn’t turn on the auto headlights.
I'd go back to the dealer who said that everything was working fine for them and have them demonstrate what they did to confirm that it is working properly. Bring a small towel and cover the sensor while they watch and ask why the headlights are not coming on.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts