Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Auto Headlights Issue. Please Help!

2275 Views 53 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  stan773
I'm having issues with my auto headlights not automatically turning on when it's twilight or night time when I drive. I can manually turn it on and when the windshield wipers are on, the headlights also automatically turn on when it's on the automatic setting. I went to a local Toyota dealership and asked them to check the light senor on the car and they stated that it is working properly. I'm not sure if it might be a fuse or what. If anyone has a clue why this might be happening it will be greatly appreciated!
My vehicle is a 2019 XLE Premium.
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I'd go back to the dealer who said that everything was working fine for them and have them demonstrate what they did to confirm that it is working properly. Bring a small towel and cover the sensor while they watch and ask why the headlights are not coming on.
Will do. But out of curiosity, how come you guys ruled out the possibility of it being a fuse or a relay? Is it because the headlights can be turned on manually or is there a different reason? I just want to learn more about this situation that I have.

· Registered
3,525 Posts
As I mentioned earlier, I do not have a 2019.

I did review the 2019 owners manual and it says nothing about enabling the dash switch to active auto headlights. Similar to the 2022 model, the section for auto high beams says to turn on the switch as part of the auto high beam operation.
Auto high beams are a separate discussion so lets focus on if the button must be 'on' for the auto HEADLIGHTS to function while the stalk is on the 'auto' position.

So based on the owners manual, the dash button has zero effect on the headlight auto operation in 2019.

I'll call @JFox562 to run a test for us.
JFOX, OP is having issues with his auto headlights. Do you leave your AHB button on in order to active the auto headlights?
Nope, two different systems

However, the auto high beams do only activate when the headlights are on; auto or manually turned on.

· Registered
119 Posts
Could be the light sensor, head light stalk, control module…. etc. Any competent mechanic should be able to troubleshoot this issue. As stated previously, let the dealership who stated that there’s no issue demonstrate said operation.

· Registered
64 Posts
Will do. But out of curiosity, how come you guys ruled out the possibility of it being a fuse or a relay? Is it because the headlights can be turned on manually or is there a different reason? I just want to learn more about this situation that I have.
Not sure what is going on for other people, but for me I have no basis to rule out a fuse or a relay. As Sienna1 says, it could be any one or more of a variety of parts. I don't know how to troubleshoot such an issue. BUT: the dealer service department should know how to troubleshoot it, how to trace out the circuits and test each component, etc. as needed. In other words, they should be able to fix it.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I went to the dealer service department and they discovered part number 891210E060 (I believe is the light sensor on the dash) is broken. To repair it the would have to take the whole dash out and the total cost is $1400. The part itself costs about $200.

· Registered
119 Posts
It’s difficult to believe that a dash removal is necessary but likely true. If the harness is long enough and one can release the tabs to pull the sensor out, then replacement is possible without removing the dash. Might be able to assess the tabs from behind the glove box or dash speaker grill while pulling up on the light sensor. The connector should be smaller than the opening.

Attachments

· Registered
9 Posts
I'm having issues with my auto headlights not automatically turning on when it's twilight or night time when I drive. I can manually turn it on and when the windshield wipers are on, the headlights also automatically turn on when it's on the automatic setting. I went to a local Toyota dealership and asked them to check the light senor on the car and they stated that it is working properly. I'm not sure if it might be a fuse or what. If anyone has a clue why this might be happening it will be greatly appreciated!
My vehicle is a 2019 XLE Premium.
I am having the same issue with my 2019 Limited. Mine will not work in the rain either, the dealership told me there were no code being sent. So....

· Registered
119 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2019 Limited. Mine will not work in the rain either, the dealership told me there were no code being sent. So....
The light sensor can most likely be ruled out because it shouldn’t affect the wiper on feature. Light stalk, control module or wiring are the most probable cause with yours.

· Registered
1,204 Posts
The light sensor can most likely be ruled out because it shouldn’t affect the wiper on feature. Light stalk, control module or wiring are the most probable cause with yours.
I think it is worth the dealership to prove the test (unless they are going to throw parts at it at the cost of removing the customers dash).... however with a Body Control Module (BCM), I can totally see a different circuit controlling the headlight function.
Programming logic: If wiper switch = ON, enable headlight circuit
Without knowing how the BCM is controlled, the wiring may all go through the light sensor. If so then I agree the lights should not work
If the headlights can be controlled via the switch, it can certainly be enabled via the wipers acting as a switch.

I guess it's up to OP to decide if auto light are worth a dash removal as a test.
Maybe a clause that if dash is removed and lights are still incorrect, what type of compensation am I paid in perpetuity for the annoying rattle they cause. :D

· Registered
2021 XSE Hybrid, Blizzard Pearl
93 Posts
have you tried blocking the light sensor on the dash like with a book or something to see if the lights would turn on by itself ? maybe try a ecu reset disconnect the battery for 10min pump the brakes then let it fire back up.

· Registered
19 Posts
The problem may be in software. Dealer may not be able to fix the problem until new software is released. Software may have additional time delay filters for transient light sources such as street lights and other sources.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts