Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone having issues with their Auto High Beam System? I have a 16' Limited with the Advanced Tech Package.
I drive long distances on a regular basis at night and loved this feature when I purchased the vehicle but recently the system has been choosing to disengage and turn itself off at random. The Auto High Beam indicator will turn off despite the road being completely dark, no cars/signs and will then re-appear a few seconds later and will reengage auto high beam function. There are also times that at night, upon start-up, the Auto High Beam system will refuse to engage (Light switch turned to auto and stalk pushed forward, driving over 25 mph). I will have to move the stalk back and forth and then randomly it will engage and be fine for 2+ hours on the road at night. Very strange. I hate to take it to the dealer as they will surely say the problem can not be reproduced. The windshield remains clear so I do not believe that to be the culprit. Is there some sort of re-calibration or reset function for the system? Is the system just normally this glitchy? I am hoping it is not a hardware failure. :serious
Thanks.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Is anyone having issues with their Auto High Beam System? I have a 16' Limited with the Advanced Tech Package.
I drive long distances on a regular basis at night and loved this feature when I purchased the vehicle but recently the system has been choosing to disengage and turn itself off at random. The Auto High Beam indicator will turn off despite the road being completely dark, no cars/signs and will then re-appear a few seconds later and will reengage auto high beam function. There are also times that at night, upon start-up, the Auto High Beam system will refuse to engage (Light switch turned to auto and stalk pushed forward, driving over 25 mph). I will have to move the stalk back and forth and then randomly it will engage and be fine for 2+ hours on the road at night. Very strange. I hate to take it to the dealer as they will surely say the problem can not be reproduced. The windshield remains clear so I do not believe that to be the culprit. Is there some sort of re-calibration or reset function for the system? Is the system just normally this glitchy? I am hoping it is not a hardware failure. :serious
Thanks.
The auto high beam is probably the feature I least use.
It's not the best working for features in my '16 rav4h.
I don't use it for that reason.

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
I quit using it, worked great sometimes, but I don't like the delay when it turns back on and it doesn't always, so I just went back to manual high beams.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I quit using it, worked great sometimes, but I don't like the delay when it turns back on and it doesn't always, so I just went back to manual high beams.
Auto high beams don't work in winding mountain roads,
by the time you see on coming headlights they're almost passing you already.
Auto beams take a while to switch off/on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks.
I just saw your post after having encountered the same issue in my RAV4 (2016 SE). This happened (at least) twice (that I am aware off) so I mentioned this to the Toyota dealer during an oil change and was told that they could not find anything in the computer indicating there was an issue; any errors would be saved in the on board computer, so they said. To be honest, I am not sure how much I trust that process. They did put it in the service record that I had issues with it, but also that they couldn't find anything.

I researched the issue after driving last night and the high beams not turning on after engaging them. Now at least I know I am not the only one having this problem! To me it doesn't matter if I use the feature a lot or not, it's the point of having a feature that works when I do use it. I plan on bringing this back up to the dealership during the next oil change. If I get a different response to the issue at that time, I'll be sure to update my post.

·
Registered
1 Posts
He is not questioning the Auto High Beam, he is having an issue with the INDICATOR LIGHT that tells you if the system is ready. I am having the same issue. the Dealer keeps blowing me off,
I happen to like the auto high beam feature
today they told me you have to turn the headlights on manually to have the auto high beams to work properly, claimed it was in the owners manual, its not

the indicator light just turns off for no reason. it will come back on, and go off again. doesn't seem like a major issue, but it could be a sign of something failing that could cause a bigger issue.

I can't believe that Toyota has not recognized this as an issue and informed the service centers

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After my Rav started flashing the high beams at cars randomly (subsequently making other drivers quite angry) I stopped using the system all together. I think the they should've designed the sensor /camera to be larger to get a better picture of the road and lighting conditions. I think the system just gets confused easily, seems half-baked. Since my original post the system has remained glitchy but doesn't seem to have gotten worse. Has a mind of its own it seems:serious

·
Registered
34 Posts
Having the same issue with our 2017 hybrid Limited.

Auto high beam function worked great for 12k miles. Then just start going wonky all of a sudden. Function comes on, works awhile, then goes off doesn't work...rinse and repeat.

Not going to waste my time making a special trip to dealership for this issue as it will be a total waste of time since they'll claim it couldn't be replicated, throws no codes and they've never heard of this issue before.

I'll wait till my next tire rotation and keep you posted if they miraculously solve it.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I share the same experience as you, DARav4.. Very erratic behaviour all of a sudden.
In addition, I have a slight impression that also the rain-sensored wipers have started to behave more unpredictable since the latest visit at the dealership. I need to check if they have made a software update that might explain.

·
Registered
120 Posts
He is not questioning the Auto High Beam, he is having an issue with the INDICATOR LIGHT that tells you if the system is ready. I am having the same issue. the Dealer keeps blowing me off,
I happen to like the auto high beam feature
today they told me you have to turn the headlights on manually to have the auto high beams to work properly, claimed it was in the owners manual, its not

the indicator light just turns off for no reason. it will come back on, and go off again. doesn't seem like a major issue, but it could be a sign of something failing that could cause a bigger issue.

I can't believe that Toyota has not recognized this as an issue and informed the service centers
I had the same problem once. Windshield was dirty over the top of the front facing camera.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having this same issue with my 2017 Avalon. Auto High Beam function will randomly shut off, and will not re-activate. My dealer has not been able to duplicate the problem, and there are no error codes. Has anyone had any success in getting this resolved?

·
Registered
152 Posts
So what you are saying is that the system auto-dims and then stays there? I have noticed same with mine.

Seems to be triggered by an oncoming driver that doesn't dim or any other combination of oncoming cars with brighter than normal lights. Have you or anyone else noticed this correlation?

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
So what you are saying is that the system auto-dims and then stays there? I have noticed same with mine.

Seems to be triggered by an oncoming driver that doesn't dim or any other combination of oncoming cars with brighter than normal lights. Have you or anyone else noticed this correlation?

It's slow to go from low beam back to high beam even when there's no reason for it, no other lights or reflective signs.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It's slow to go from low beam back to high beam even when there's no reason for it, no other lights or reflective signs.
I think t hat I have seen this as well. When it is working properly it takes about 2 seconds to go back to high beams. I think I have seen this time go from 10-20 seconds to infinity.

Somehow the system seems to ignore reflections from even multiple bright stationary objects like signs. It also seems to be good at picking out moving red tail lights but seems to ignore stop lights.

Next time mine malfunctions I need to see if the "auto" icon goes away which is what previous posters have noticed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bottom line... Lighting is a BIG safety issue. Once this system fails getting your high beams back is NOT trivial or fast as the lighting lever is already in the "bright" position.

While we can complain about it here the only thing that is going to get Toyota's attention is to file enough reports here:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

I would encourage everyone who experiences a malfunction with this system to FIRST file a complaint as above and THEN copy it here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was able to take a video of this happening. I brought it to my dealer. After I take the car back to them (for the fourth time on this complaint), I'll Report back on their response.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also, to be clear about what the problem is, when the Auto High Beam function is activated, it should be either on stand by or the high beams are on. With this problem, the Auto High Beam function turns itself off. It's no longer on standby, and the indicator lights are no longer illuminated. It is also very difficult to re-activate the Auto High Beam function at that point.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Also, to be clear about what the problem is, when the Auto High Beam function is activated, it should be either on stand by or the high beams are on. With this problem, the Auto High Beam function turns itself off. It's no longer on standby, and the indicator lights are no longer illuminated. It is also very difficult to re-activate the Auto High Beam function at that point.
Can you share that video on Youtube or some other file sharing site? It would be great to add this to a NHSTA report of this issue.

I think that I have seen reports of this or similar issues with other Toyota models of previous years. Likely a software defect.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts