Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is anyone using this? just wondering if it really works or is just a gimmick that annoys oncoming traffic.

i tried to test drive at night but couldn't get them to come on because the streets were not dark enough.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been using the Auto High Beam feature for about the last 10 days and prior to that since Feb 22 when I took delivery I had Auto turned off. I am liking the Auto mode more and am impressed with how responsive the system is to oncoming traffic.

It can, however, be annoying in some situations by changing beams frequently. We live about 3 miles from a lot of traffic and on a 2-lane road with lots of deer. Nice to have high beams on automatically most of the time.

If we go into the congested areas for long I'll just turn the Auto off.

Forgot to mention trying the Auto out during your test drives if possible.

YMMV...

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
I've used it in suburban areas, works pretty darn good even if someone enters the road ahead of me going the same direction, I was surprised they dimmed just as well as on oncoming traffic. Highly reflective signs seem to dim them sometimes as do some street lights.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I find the auto high-beam really useful on highways out of the lights of a built-up area. I usually leave the auto high-beam off until I'm away from a lot of light, otherwise the high beams tend to go on and off frequently as it detects light. BTW, the LED headlights in the RAV4 are the best headlights I've ever had!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good to know. i may as well ask this: how are the fog lights? useful, or ornamental?

i'm stuck asking these questions because the rav4 my parents ordered won't arrive until the end of this month :(

·
Registered
218 Posts
Honestly, this is the first car I've owned that the headlights (LED) are so good I find the fog lights don't add much, and I like a lot of good light. I've already changed the fog light bulbs to LED ones. I took the car on a dark road and found the fog lights tend to offer some light well to the side and even shows up the trees that were close to the side of the road.
I haven't had a chance to test on a dark rainy night yet (or a foggy one) as we are just getting over winter here in Central Ontario!

good to know. i may as well ask this: how are the fog lights? useful, or ornamental?

i'm stuck asking these questions because the rav4 my parents ordered won't arrive until the end of this month :(

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Fog lights work well in real fog, but not so that you can do the speed limit in a cloud. Nothing but infrared lights and sensor can do that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts