Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the new technology being built into new cars today such as, FCW (forward collision warning) AEB (automatic emergency braking) ACC (adaptive cruise control) LDW (lane departure warning) and more…how come your insurance company does NOT give you a discount for these safety features? They also do NOT give you a discount for having a dash cam.
Spoke with my insurance agent and they said there is NOT enough evidence or data that these safety items prevent accidents. What’s up with that?

·
Registered
184 Posts
New Jersey insurance is horrific.. i feel your pain as a fellow newjersean. I had build in GPS tracking device in my RAV4, activated it expecting discount.. and nada.. No, we don`t provide discounts for that anymore..

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Know what you mean

New Jersey insurance is horrific.. i feel your pain as a fellow newjersean. I had build in GPS tracking device in my RAV4, activated it expecting discount.. and nada.. No, we don`t provide discounts for that anymore..

NJ is terrible besides the price! They said that since all this technology is built into the car, when a car does require repairs all of the technology (sensors, cameras, ect) needs to be repaired also. Think its just an excuse.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I worked for insurance companies for years. Like any other company they are driven by profit. The only thing that will change what you are voicing concern about is competition. They won't change their underwriting criteria until it effects their bottom line if another company cuts into their market share by offering such discounts. They would also have to obtain the approval of the NJ Insurance Department to offer the discounts.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Despite all those safety features fatalities and crashes are actually on an uptick. 2015 reversed the long downward trend with the worst increase in 50 years. Cheap gas meaning more people on the road and distracted driving often cited as causes.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
NJ not alone - suspect that Oregon's insurance commissioner basically surrenders to the insurance companies when the companies want to increase consumer costs. Our costs were stable for years and even decreased somewhat,, then we were slapped with large increases even though our vehicles are another year older and we have no tickets or accidents. Seemed to coincide with a new administration in the state capital.

Edit add - tried negotiating more discounts with insurance co. but was told that we already had been given all of the possible discounts.

Reactions: SMcDuck29

·
Registered
184 Posts
Same thing in NJ.. out of the blue insurance tend to jump by 300-400 dollars with every yearly renewal, with no violations, accidents, etc. After calling Insurance company and 30-40 min conversation, magically some discounts become available and premium goes down to where it was before.. give or take. And this is every year`s story.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts