Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently told that a manual 5 speed gearbox has a lot more teeth on the differential's ring gear than that of a 4 speed automatic.

Also our long time mechanics told me that my 4.1's differential is not built for speed. I'm guessing, might be wrong, he's talking about the speed capability of a 5th gear on a manual?

My 4.1 is an automatic and I've seen it's in torsen diff, but not really sure about the numbers of the ring gear being different to a manual. Is it possible to swap my differential to a manual differential? Does it really affect top speed?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Which diff? Our little 4x4s have 3.
Anyway, with the aerodynamics and power we have, speed isn't going to happen. 100mph is about it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@SlimJim16v Rear diff and trans axle. Which is the 3rd one? Aerodynamics has very little to do with it, well just a bit. But when I'm hitting 140-150kph, the rpm goes down in an instant, like it's being limited so it's not just the wind getting heavier. This thing could barely reach 100mph. :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
The Rav4 uses the same differential in both the manual and the automatic models. The only option is the lsd and that still uses the same ring and pinion gear size.

Most of the time the final drive output is done in the differential, but Toyota did it differently in the Rav4. Part is done in the differential and the rest is done in the transfer-case. The two versions use a different transfer-case ratio accounting for the slightly faster manual model and the slight difference in the final drive ratio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just read your post about differential on manual and automatic being the same. Can you confirm this relates to MK1 as got to change mine, and was worried that I needed to be sure that replacement was from another automatic.
Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
The rear differential is the same. What confuses people is that the final drive ratio is not in the rear diff. It is in the front wheel drive gearbox at the front. It then goes through a step up transfer case and then a step down in the rear diff. The ratio in the transfer case essentially cancels out the rear ratio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The rear differential is the same. What confuses people is that the final drive ratio is not in the rear diff. It is in the front wheel drive gearbox at the front. It then goes through a step up transfer case and then a step down in the rear diff. The ratio in the transfer case essentially cancels out the rear ratio.

Thanks for the info much appreciated

·
Registered
609 Posts
Just read your post about differential on manual and automatic being the same. Can you confirm this relates to MK1 as got to change mine, and was worried that I needed to be sure that replacement was from another automatic.
Thanks
An easy way to check the differential ratio is to jack up the back end and safely support it.
One full turn of the drive shaft should turn the back wheel 2.928 times for a first gen Rav4.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts