Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<minor rant>

OK... I've now driven Corolla and Matrix loaner cars and they both had auto-on/off headlamps. The Corolla had manual windows, so it certainly had to be a base model -- the Matrix had an odd combination of power windows and manual side windows (???). Why does the RAV not have this feature? If Toyota can put it in as standard equipment for a car that costs half as much as my RAV, it can certainly be included! :?: :?: :?:

<rant off>

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
The Corolla base model have light sensing auto headlights, wow. I didn't know that. Even my old Camry LS didnt have that option. It is a very nice option to have and a bit of added safety as well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've seen a few threads on this lately and tested this out myself.

In a LTD 4x4 RAV, I left the headlights on when I stopped to go into a convenience store. When I came out they were off. I didn't check how long it took for them to turn off and was in the store for a good 3-5 minutes.

I started the RAV, and they came on since the switch was already set to on.

Either mine is a design flaw, or your auto-off isn't working...

V

·
0 Posts
is it the day time running lights? A few years ago, when day time running lights for all new vehicles sold in Canada were just starting out...my friend and I drove a rental car down to Boston. It was pretty funny because while driving, everyone body was flashing us. Now, it's probably the norm....uhm...I think. Isn't it? Down in the states I mean :shock:

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vigil & vroom -- What I mean is that with the "automatic on/off' is that the headlights and driving lights automatically turn on when it starts to get dark (also worked driving into parking garage), whether the switch is on or off. Likewise, they turn off when it's brighter out, unless you've manually turned them on. Nothing to do with the courtesy light timer or the DRLs.

K

·
0 Posts
vroom2grow said:
is it the day time running lights?
Speaking of day time running lights... is there a way to turn those off? ... other than shutting the engine of course. I know it's for safety, my insurance did give me a discount for having them but I was just curious.

V

·
0 Posts
Kewl,

now what would be even kewler, is a car that has tint that did exactly the opposite of the light sensitive headlights. Instead the tint on the side and rear windows would get darker as the sun got brighter, and the tint would get lighter as night time rolled around. 8)

C

·
0 Posts
I noticed the same thing with mine this afternoon and my headlights do not turn off automatically. I have the Base model and the owners manual states that they will turn off after 30 seconds or when you lock the vehicle with the keyless entry BUT they didn't turn off. I went to toyota's website and if you download the e-brocuhure it states this feature is on the Sport model as Standard.

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Puttputt posted in an earlier thread that you have to hit the lock button twice on the remote to turn off the lights immediately. Tried it myself, it works! 8)

C

·
0 Posts
Well damnit! That's not fair. I just went out there and tried it several times on mine and it doesn't work. I hit the button two times and nothing except the door would lock. Do they shut off instantly? I guess mine doesn't do it since I have the Base model?
While we are talking about hitting the button two times I was reading in the manual that the keyless entry can be programmed to unlock all doors with pushing the button just once. Does anyone know how to reprogram it to do that? It says to contact the dealer and I'm sure they are going to want to charge me to do it. Money grubbing bastards :lol:

·
Registered
379 Posts
cusack they won't charge you anything. You just bought a new Rav they might not do it IMMEDIATELY that second. But they'll do it no charge I'm sure. :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
Talking about auto lights. That's really the pitts. I liked that feature. And to add insult to injury no auto memory seat, no auto HVAC, no auto outside mirror setting, no auto radio presets. How much more that could have possibly cost. And to mark the key FOBs 1 and 2 :(

F

·
0 Posts
Karrock - I know what you're talking about - I have a Corolla CE as well as a Rav and the Corolla has the auto-on feature which is really great. I've been think about doing a mod on the Rav using Corolla system (sensor/wiring) - not sure if it would work but think it should.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My 1991 Taurus SHO came with autolamps standard, and almost every domestic car I've driven that is well optioned came with that feature (even the 87 Cadillac deville I had :shock: .) I have adapted to the manual non-auto lamp life after driving my 99 Accord EXl V6 coupe that has every option available and it too does not have the autolamps. The only way to avoid this, is as others have said and just leave the headlights switched on all the time as they eventual shut off after the vehicle is turned off and a door is opened. I hate giving things up, but for my wife and I's needs the Rav fit as many criteria we had than other other vehicle on the market. Oh well. :?

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Automatic headlights, leave the headlights in the on position, when you turn the car off the lights go out after 30 seconds or when you click the alarm. I leave mine in the on position all the time, did the same thing with my Camry.

B

·
0 Posts
Auto off lights

I just bought my first RAV4 this week . 2007 base 2 WD and the auto off feature works on mine.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I think you guys are confusing automatic headlights and auto off headlights. Automatic headlights have a light sensor and turns on when its dark outside.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
The G Man said:
I think you guys are confusing automatic headlights and auto off headlights. Automatic headlights have a light sensor and turns on when its dark outside.
True, Corollas have automatic headlights (sensors turn them on when dark outside) Ravs do not have them, however, you can leave the headlights turned to the ON position and they will stay on until you turn the car off, then they will go out and come on again when the car is restarted :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts