Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone a fan of this? I detest it.

A YouTube video that suggests manufacturers are using it to game the regulators' fuel economy numbers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interesting. Glad I have the hybrid, if I wasn't such a car guy I'd probably never notice when it switches between gas and electric. I suspect most hybrid owners don't. Stop/start doesn't bother me a whole lot, at least from what i've experienced in rental cars.

This guy seems to contradict himself saying that the numbers are fudged because the test lets the car "idle" for quite some time where the car will naturally shut itself off to conserve fuel. So it does conserve fuel because like he says the hot starts are set up in a way to conserve as much fuel as possible on restart, and the car is shut down when it would normally be idling. Also hot starts don't cause wear and tear like cold starts do. So basically the only complaint to have is that you find the stop/start feature to be annoying. Can't you turn it off? On my old genesis coupe I had to turn off the traction control every time I got in the car and I just got used to pressing the button on start-up. Yea it was annoying to have to remember for the first month or so but after that it was a natural thing to do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have to turn it off every time you start the car. Just one more thing to go wrong, and adds to wear and tear even if within design spec. Sort of like a turbo.

I recently purchased 2020 Rav4 Premium XLE AWD and when I get to a red light I press the brake, the car shuts off.... when I release the brake the car can be heard turning on and jerks forward a bit. which doesn't seem right. I don't press the gas it just jerks forward. I asked a Toyota mechanic he said its a normal feature. I know you can temporarily turn off the feature; which is what I've been doing. Has anyone else had this problem???

·
Registered
35 Posts
Manually turn mine off every time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You have to turn it off every time you start the car. Just one more thing to go wrong, and adds to wear and tear even if within design spec. Sort of like a turbo.
Wear and tear on a button? I hope you don't use the buttons on the steering wheel too then...

If you mean wear and tear on the engine then you're just wrong. You're actually reducing wear because the engine is running for fewer hours. When the engine is up to temp stopping and starting does not cause wear on the internals. It may cause minor wear on a starter but in the video you linked he says the engine is stopped in a way to be much easier to crank over than a cold start.

It's ok to not like the newest features in vehicles but to say they cause more wear and tear when they don't is just silly. Like I said, I hated in my old car that it didn't remember I had the traction control off when I last shut the car off, so I had to turn it off every time I started the car. It was annoying, but I got over it and trained myself to turn it off every time I started the car. In the grand scheme of things, not a big deal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
If you mean wear and tear on the engine then you're just wrong. You're actually reducing wear because the engine is running for fewer hours. When the engine is up to temp stopping and starting does not cause wear on the internals. It may cause minor wear on a starter but in the video you linked he says the engine is stopped in a way to be much easier to crank over than a cold start.

It's ok to not like the newest features in vehicles but to say they cause more wear and tear when they don't is just silly. Like I said, I hated in my old car that it didn't remember I had the traction control off when I last shut the car off, so I had to turn it off every time I started the car. It was annoying, but I got over it and trained myself to turn it off every time I started the car. In the grand scheme of things, not a big deal.
From ebarr's post I quoted, the vehicle lurches forward on restart. This tells me that there is likely some wear and tear happening that wouldn't happen if ASS wasn't on the vehicle, possibly even to the transmission. And 'It may cause minor wear on a starter but in the video you linked he says the engine is stopped in a way to be much easier to crank over than a cold start' isn't zero wear.

Even very minor wear and tear adds up over the hundred thousand times it is engaged. And frankly, having a vehicle turn off at -25C every time I stop at a light isn't my idea of smart. Let me turn it off permanently, as is the case with the Adventure model.

How do I know it isn't going to leave me stranded, and trying not to freeze to death at a stop sign at night in the boonies, if my battery weakens in sub-zero temps? Another system, another thing to go wrong at Murphy's discretion. Cars are programmed to do many things, but often don't do the things they are programmed to do. Some sensor goes on the blink and all hell breaks loose.

Yes I am skeptical and distrustful: Thirty years of empty automaker promises and lies over reliability and function warrant such skepticism. Things like air bags, ABS brakes, stability control, and computer monitored fuel injection are well worth the additional complexity. But I don't think Auto Start/Stop brings much to the table. My gut says it's like those automatic seat-belt retractors from the 1990s: a despicable band-aid to meet some regulatory test.

Remember this garbage?

https://www.reddit.com/r/nostalgia/comments/7btmfw

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 AWD XLE Premium
13 Posts
I turn mine off every time. just one extra button to push before I start driving. I wish it could be turned off permanently. But not that big of a deal.
The only time I might use it is if I got caught in a massive traffic jam for hours. It would be useful then if the traffic stopped a lot.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Actually it's quite entertaining listening to the Aussie guy talk on his take of the automotive world, he pulls no punches, at least he doesn't shout at you like that other fool Scotty the US guy the backyard mechanic. I don't think he's wrong when he talks about the stop/start issue. The auto manufacturers are tripping over themselves to kiss A**, to the huge green machine that wants us all to go back to the stone age.

·
Registered
35 Posts
REV UP YOUR ENGINE

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually it's quite entertaining listening to the Aussie guy talk on his take of the automotive world, he pulls no punches, at least he doesn't shout at you like that other fool Scotty the US guy the backyard mechanic. I don't think he's wrong when he talks about the stop/start issue. The auto manufacturers are tripping over themselves to kiss A**, to the huge green machine that wants us all to go back to the stone age.
The thing is, I'm a huge greenie. I think that we should end single use plastic, cordon off whole sections of each biome FROM humanity, dump livestock and reforest much of what has been lost. Contraception should be encouraged globally, and steady-state populations and economics investigated. The planet is turning into a trash can.

Coke and Pepsi should be forced into milk cartons and cans by the world's governments, since they've been promising sustainability for 50 years and delivered next to nothing but plastic devastation.

But Auto Start/Stop leaves me cynical and skeptical about whether it helps at all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The thing is, I'm a huge greenie. I think that we should end single use plastic, cordon off whole sections of each biome FROM humanity, dump livestock and reforest much of what has been lost. Contraception should be encouraged globally, and steady-state populations and economics investigated. The planet is turning into a trash can.

Coke and Pepsi should be forced into milk cartons and cans by the world's governments, since they've been promising sustainability for 50 years and delivered next to nothing but plastic devastation.

But Auto Start/Stop leaves me cynical and skeptical about whether it helps at all.
I have no problem cleaning up the planet, if there was a way to reduce plastic waste other than burying it I am all for it, force Apple & Samsung into making their products repairable along with all the other tech manufacturers. Nothing wrong with a steak, leave meat along. Dump all these celebrities who go on about the environment then hope on private jets flying around the world, who's carbon footprint is huge. Good luck with contraception I am sure the Catholic church with have something to say about that, reforestation 2 thumbs up, we should start in BC do away with clear cutting.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nothing wrong with a steak, leave meat along.
When I say dump livestock I mean get rid of factory farming and cut the beef by about 90%. I don't have an issue with the odd steak, but I'd rather it be thrice a year from a midwestern buffalo range than daily hamburgers. Fast food will have to adapt. Who knows how much meat a restored NA Bison population could supply the country year-on-year, while restoring the biome of the great plains insofar as human population allows.

IMO wheedling away at the last MPG of modern ICE technology is a diminishing returns game with exponential increases in difficulty. Environmental issues are teeming with low-hanging fruit if government had the cojones to apply similar force to corporations outside the automotive industry. Single use plastic is the most egregious for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts