Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drained the tranny fluid, cleaned and replaced filter/gasket, and refilled with Dexron VI according to spec yesterday.

Since i'm going for multiple drain/fills to bring my fluid up to specs, do I need to replace the filter/gasket each time I drain and fill or can I just literally just drain and refill with fluid?

·
Registered
73 Posts
If the old oil was clean and only old and you are doing multiple changes to try and dilute oil trapped in the torque converter. I would say only change/clean the filter once. Not sure how many changes you are going to do as oils not cheap!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just fill it. I've made it a habit to change the tranny fluid every summer during the oil change that comes due. Spreads out the cost and it's a 'while you under there'.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Usually 3 drain-refills gets it mostly clean. I would have changed the filter in the last drain-refill but that's just me. You need to change the filter just once.
Did you put medium strength threadlocker on the tranny pan bolts? they would get loose with time otherwise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys ... I ended up disconnecting the transmission return line from the radiator and flushed via the trans pump with engine running.

Pure, clean Dexron VI (backwards compatible with Dexron III) in the trans. Noticeably smoother for sure.

Also, some searches call for Toyota Type IV, but thats for 4wd autos. 2wd requires Dex III or equivalent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts