Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been letting my daughter drive my '01 automatic 4wd to school and work for the last year. I drove it yesterday for the first time in a year and it seems to shift a little slowly from first into second gear? Doesn't hesitate or clunk, just takes a second to slide into second like an old american car.

My other car is an '05 Matrix automatic 4wd, and I'm used to that shifting, and it's shifts quickly into second from first.

My RAV has 56,000 miles on it, and I'm wondering if it's normal and I dont remember it, OR if it's starting to show signs of wear? I did a full throttle launch/shift into second, and it seems OK. Just normal throttle shift into second seems a little slow.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a possibility! I know the ECU learns driving style for engine management, but does it also affect the transmission shift programming?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now it's getting worse

Drove the RAV4 all round today. First gear makes a loud whine noise, which drops down and goes away as the transmission shifts into 2nd. The tranny doesn't seem to be slipping any like I first thought, but who knows.

Anyone else have a very noticeable first gear whine with the 4spd auto?? I'm at 62,000 miles.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, sure did. In fact, I had the tranny fluid changed at the dealer, hoping it would help with the first gear whine. No help.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
My 02 RAV did the same thing when new but if I remember correct it was a random thing. Since then I switched the OD off (city driving) I never had the problem again.
Like Slayer mentioned, even when I forget to off the OD it seems the ECU has learned my driving habits.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I have an appointment to take it to the dealer Friday. Check engine light came on too. Possible bad tranny and a check engine light again after I had the software update a year ago??

Is this RAV turning into a P.O.S.? I've owned a LOT of Toyotas over the years, and have only had one other dud, a 1998 Sienna XLE. It had a bad engine ECU, which caused the transmission to shift improperly. Dealer couldn't fix it, because they just aren't that good. I work on aircraft, and our mechanics could run circles around the wrench monkeys at the local Toyota dealership.

No way I'm going to pay for a tranny repair at 62,000 miles. If the tranny is bad, and Toy doesn't cover it, then this car is getting traded..................

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Follow up

Dealer changed out the cat converter like others have had done on here with the numerous check engine light troubles and ECU reprogramming. Glad for the longer warranty on the emmisions.

Now I'm wondering, did the original program slowly ruin my cat converter, OR does the new software that I had done 25,000 miles ago when the first check engine light came on ruin the converters??? I guess time will tell.

As far as the tranny whine in first gear, the mechanic said 'they all do that'. OK, if all RAV4 auto trannys make a whine in first gear, then why doesn't my friends trannys whine in first gear?????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts