Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Rav4 basic and recently the transmission seems undecided as to which gear it should use. Specially at low speed. I can't remember when I last had the trans fluid changed and I'm wondering if that might be the problem. About 140k kilometres on the dial

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I have a 2009 Rav4 basic and recently the transmission seems undecided as to which gear it should use. Specially at low speed. I can't remember when I last had the trans fluid changed and I'm wondering if that might be the problem. About 140k kilometres on the dial
You could check(or someone more knowledgeable could)the appearance, smell and the correct level of the transmission fluid. It should be red in color and not smell burnt. There are numerous posts on here on this subject. Just do a search.
My personal opinion would be to do a trans fluid drain-and-refill, using Toyota WS fluid. Then do another one 6 months or so later and you should be good to go. I would not do a trans fluid flush because, IMO, that might cause more problems than it would fix, although that has been a matter of much debate on here. Your call.:serious

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The level is if anything too high on the dip stick cold. It is red and doesn't smell burnt, although you can see that it is getting dirty.

Also wondering if I am sometimes driving too tenderly as it never has a problem when I'm driving a little more Con Brio

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Sounds like the transmission oil looks ok if it is red and doesn't smell burnt. If you change your transmission oil frequently then a drain and fill will be sufficient. If you want all new oil in the transmission rather than mixing with the old fluid then just do a flush using the return line.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...The level is if anything too high on the dip stick cold. It is red and doesn't smell burnt, although you can see that it is getting dirty...
Make sure you check the dipstick level with the engine hot (drive it around 15 minutes) AND running (while in park and idling). It's the only fluid to check with the engine running--mine shows over-filled when cold and engine off also.

Color isn't always the best indicator according to the service manual. Put a blob on a paper towel; looks and also feel with your fingers for any grit. If you're getting shifting issues, swap the fluid out to see if it helps.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Just have it changed along with the filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts