Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autobytel.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_id_int/1442

Gas cost half what it does today, V8 engines were increasing in popularity, and Ford ruled the smoking-hot SUV segment with its popular Explorer when Toyota introduced the first RAV4 for the 1996 model year. Small, powered by a fuel-efficient four-cylinder engine, and made for driving on the road rather than off of it, the RAV4 duked it out with the Subaru Outback for the honor of creating the “soft-roader” segment, though the term “cute ute” clearly referred to the original RAV4’s tidy, emasculating design and not the Outback’s butched-up station wagon getup.

Fast-forward a decade, and the soft-roaders, the cute-utes, the sport wagons, the crossovers – whatever you call them – represent the fastest-growing market segment in America. Ford’s Explorer, still a fine SUV in its own right, is almost flat-lining, living on the life-support of big rebates and low-interest financing, while the RAV4 and the Outback have been joined by dozens of competitors from every corner of the globe. Yet, despite a surge in segment interest by consumers, the original crossover SUV, the Toyota RAV4, has been virtually invisible to every American short of sorority girls, single female professionals, and divorced moms. Thanks to its cheeky design, conservative horsepower rating, and small size, the Toyota RAV4 became the ultimate chick truck – despite the fact that it was fun to drive, a smart buy, and a terrific value.

That explains why the redesigned 2006 Toyota RAV4 is bigger, more aggressive looking, and equipped with an optional V6 engine that makes almost as much horsepower as the V8 engine in a heavier Ford Explorer. Men are figuring out that a V8 and a low-range transfer case don’t actually make up for any perceived shortcomings, and do, in fact, create them in the form of a lighter wallet, a rougher ride, and a lower resale value. Know anybody shopping for a used Dodge Durango R/T in this day of three-buck unleaded? Neither do we. Toyota couldn’t have known what would happen to the price of oil when it embarked on the RAV4’s redesign several years ago, but its timing for this new sport-ute couldn’t be any better.
See link for lots more.....

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nice review, but "Ron Perry" is a bit of a dork. I think his expectations are way too high for a sub $30,000 SUV.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KarlZuni said:
Nice review, but "Ron Perry" is a bit of a dork. I think his expectations are way too high for a sub $30,000 SUV.
Its obvious from reading his review that he wasn't going to be satisfied with the RAV4 regardless of its qualities. The RAV4 equals or betters some vehicles costing much more but he won't give it a break at all.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
review is actually quite interesting read, although some complaints are pretty dumb - such as rear headrests that pull out - which is wonderful since it gives you opportunity to see behind you. Another dude complains about small steering wheel? lol.

Apperantly "the 2006 Toyota RAV4’s power won’t knock your socks off", of course, many other SUV's do 0-60 in 6.3 secs, lol.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
We have one TV station that throws in a Costco toilet paper test.

How many packages can the vehicle they are testing hold in the trunk/back of a hatch back.

Might be a humor moment but at least they attempt to add real world conditions in their profile of the cars they test.

0-60 tests don't mean much as I am sitting in grid lock on I-5 going through the center of Seattle. Neither do G forces on a skid pad as I travel around on my daily drive.

Yes I have to drive more defensively with a 166hp I4 and have to allow more space when passing on a two lane road but for the reasons I bought my RAV4 it is a great car.

Great urban daily driver
Good mpg
Can carry the dent I made on my VISA card on purchases at Home Depot
Size is right when parking in "Compact" parking spots in downtown Seattle

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
inlets said:
spwolfx said:
Another dude complains about small steering wheel? lol.
I noticed that too, whats up with that? I just thought oh well! Is it suppose to make the dash really look bigger?
I noticed that the was small when I got in one at a dealer a few weeks ago (still haven't pulled the trigger), but it didn't strike me as a problem. I mean, it's got power steering right?

The alternative, too big, is worse. I remember the huge steering wheel in my '67 Dodge Dart... it didn't make the car go left and right. It made it go "port" and "starboard".

:wink:

·
Registered
233 Posts
All sports car have slighlty smaller steering wheels. After all, this is a SPORT utility vehicle!
:wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts