Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , I have a rav 4 automatic VVTI petrol, Canadian version. since last week it's started to run only on the first gear, sometime jumping to 4th and going back to 1st.
After scanning the codes- apparently I need to change the transmission oil, and should fix the problem.
initially I thought it's an ECU problem.
now the car still not fixed and , I'm running out of ideas.
Please Help..:crying...

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
Did you change the transmission fluid?

·
Super Moderator
10,139 Posts
Hi , I have a rav 4 automatic VVTI petrol, Canadian version. since last week it's started to run only on the first gear, sometime jumping to 4th and going back to 1st.
After scanning the codes- apparently I need to change the transmission oil, and should fix the problem.
initially I thought it's an ECU problem.
now the car still not fixed and , I'm running out of ideas.
Please Help..:crying...
How many km on it? I'd didn't know there was a code for changing transmission fluid. Since apparently you did that, was it a drain & refill or a full change of all the fluid?

I've only heard of ECU problems on the 4.2 gen RAV4s so if you've changed all the fluid and there is no damage to the electrical connections it sounds like it's new transmission time.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
how many KM on it? if the oil was burned or there is gunk in the valvebody of the transmission, just changing the oil won't undo the damage, it will need to be disassemble and cleaned out/rebuilt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the cars is only 28,000 miles,2010 - 2011 model and this fault came up only when I left it to the garage for service.
I'm assuming our locals mechanics touched something down there and affected the transmission, apparently they added the wrong, oil.
after changing the oil the cars improved slightly , but no engine pressure when climbing the hill.

Today we will take off the Valve body for cleaning hoppefully it should fix the problem, if it doesn't work, Do I need to change it ?

Again Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
the cars is only 28,000 miles,2010 - 2011 model and this fault came up only when I left it to the garage for service.
I'm assuming our locals mechanics touched something down there and affected the transmission, apparently they added the wrong, oil.
after changing the oil the cars improved slightly , but no engine pressure when climbing the hill.

Today we will take off the Valve body for cleaning hoppefully it should fix the problem, if it doesn't work, Do I need to change it ?

Again Thank you for your help.
If they did indeed use the wrong type of transmission fluid, you would probably have to change it another one or two times to get all the old fluid out. That's with driving for a few days or so in between the changes.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
The shop should do a flush not a drain and fill. You can't keep mixing the wrong fluid with the correct fluid because half the oil will always be stuck in the torque converter.

Lets say they used gear oil and you keep mixing it with the transmission oil, I highly doubt your car will run properly with that mixture.

A flush is the only solution to get all the bad fluid out and getting in the correct fluid because all the trapped fluid in the torque converter is flushed out. (not mixed)

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
The shop should do a flush not a drain and fill. You can't keep mixing the wrong fluid with the correct fluid because half the oil will always be stuck in the torque converter.

Lets say they used gear oil and you keep mixing it with the transmission oil, I highly doubt your car will run properly with that mixture.

A flush is the only solution to get all the bad fluid out and getting in the correct fluid because all the trapped fluid in the torque converter is flushed out. (not mixed)
I'm not a fan of flushing, but in this case I could see it.
I had to laugh when you mentioned gear oil in the trans. Took my wife's 99 Subaru into the Subaru dealer for a trans fluid change back in 01 or 02. They actually did put gear oil in it. When I checked it and saw it was clear, not red, I assumed it was some new kind of trans fluid and got on with life for the next 8 months or so. Well, you can imagine what happened. They very generously(!)offered to cover a trans replacement. It must have cost them about 100 bucks because the rebuilt they installed lasted about another year. By then the "guarantee" was up of course.

·
Super Moderator
10,139 Posts
IMO the term "flush" when applied to changing transmission fluid is quite misleading. It implies some kind of a high pressure action that'll possibly dislodge some gunk and ruin the tranny.
NOT TRUE. It simple feeds new fluid in at the transmission cooler lines as the transmission pumps the old fluid out. The pressure and flow rates are completely normal. Some shops have a special large clear plastic cylinder were you can see the new fluid replacing the old but the job can also be done DIY.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts