Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Rav4 in April and since I have been on the hunt to try to figure out if I can add automatic headlights to my car and still haven't been able to find out information on if switching out the light switch will make it work or not. I was wondering if I set up a go fund me page, will anyone help fund this idea so once and for all we can see if it will actually work or not?

:nerd

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have to say that I am very surprised as I have just found a spec sheet and the auto headlights are only available on the Limited in the U.S.
The spec is decided by Toyota in the country that the vehicle is sold in so Toyota U.S. should be able to answer your question.

·
Registered
424 Posts
There is one 'feature' of the Toyota implementation of "Auto" headlights that I don't like. My '06 Lexus wasn't like this. When in "Auto" headlight mode, and if your car has the 'tech package', the high beams will turn off automatically when it senses an oncoming car, and you can't turn them back on. The only way to manually control the high beams is to go into regular headlight mode.

The reason that I don't like the auto-off high beam feature is that your own headlight reflection off of reflective street signs will cause the high beams to go off. And, this is a weird one . . . on my first day driving home with the brand new car, I was driving through a mountain canyon and upon exiting one curve, headed straight into the rising full moon just above the horizon. There was enough sun reflection off the full moon to cause the high beams to go off!

My normal mode is to keep the lights in auto mode, which I do like. Then, when I want control over the high beams, I'll switch to manual lights-on mode.

·
Registered
424 Posts
It is possible to disable auto-off high beams with in auto mode.

There is one 'feature' of the Toyota implementation of "Auto" headlights that I don't like. My '06 Lexus wasn't like this. When in "Auto" headlight mode, and if your car has the 'tech package', the high beams will turn off automatically when it senses an oncoming car, and you can't turn them back on. The only way to manually control the high beams is to go into regular headlight mode.

The reason that I don't like the auto-off high beam feature is that your own headlight reflection off of reflective street signs will cause the high beams to go off. And, this is a weird one . . . on my first day driving home with the brand new car, I was driving through a mountain canyon and upon exiting one curve, headed straight into the rising full moon just above the horizon. There was enough sun reflection off the full moon to cause the high beams to go off!

My normal mode is to keep the lights in auto mode, which I do like. Then, when I want control over the high beams, I'll switch to manual lights-on mode.
Got techstream working on an old XP netbook and while futzing around, found that the auto-off high beam feature when in the auto mode can be disabled. Made the change this morning, but have not verified if it does indeed disable that feature. I'll find out when I drive home tonight. If they are disabled, I'll be very happy. I really do like the auto feature for the headlights.

·
Registered
2018 LE AWD
927 Posts
Got techstream working on an old XP netbook and while futzing around, found that the auto-off high beam feature when in the auto mode can be disabled. Made the change this morning, but have not verified if it does indeed disable that feature. I'll find out when I drive home tonight. If they are disabled, I'll be very happy. I really do like the auto feature for the headlights.
Old thread, but I'm going to see if my dealer will do this at no charge at my first servicing (certified 2018 LE)... I like the auto-headlights feature, but the auto high beams is both too limiting (need to travel faster than 20 mph - what about my rural driveway???) and too twitchy. I'd love the option to have the lights come on automatically and still retain control over the high beams... In Auto mode, moving the lights stalk forward only enables the auto high beams feature instead of turning on the high beams...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.