Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered that if you have the parking lights on, which I do so that the rear lights are on when the daytime running lights are on, They will go off automatically when you open the door. You never have to turn them off. When you start the engine, they come on.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
etop said:
You never have to turn them off.
Cool find etop 8) Note to Marcutio... as far as I know... this is a NEW feature for the RAV4 :? ...at least my 1996 model doesn't do it :lol: Neither does my 2000 Dodge Ram :roll: Maybe this is the way ALL DRL's function... to date I've never had a vehicle with them.

·
Registered
771 Posts
You must have never owned a GM product. In Canada we have it for a long time. Then again we have had "Daytime Running Lights" for alot longer as well.

Later. M.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Actually... I've owned 5 GM products (1966 Caprice, 1976 Truck, 1978 truck, 1984 Camaro and a 1986 truck)... uh oh... I'm showing my age :lol:

I think the MAIN thing here is that you are correct in saying that CANADA has had DRLs a lot longer than the US. As far as I know... they are still NOT even required/mandatory here in the states.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
etop- the headlights do the same thing.. :) Its a feature so that you wil not run your battery down if you accidently leave the lights on.

no, not all drl's have this feature. My XL7 had drl's and you can still leave your headlights on..

Frank

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kelly Smith said:
etop said:
You never have to turn them off.
Cool find etop 8) Note to Marcutio... as far as I know... this is a NEW feature for the RAV4 :? ...at least my 1996 model doesn't do it :lol: Neither does my 2000 Dodge Ram :roll: Maybe this is the way ALL DRL's function... to date I've never had a vehicle with them.
You are correct. This is a new feature for the Rav. My 01 did not have this option either. Neither did any of my Blazers or Hondas. I wonder how many others in the US have discovered this on the Rav.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
flyingn said:
etop- the headlights do the same thing.. :) Its a feature so that you wil not run your battery down if you accidently leave the lights on.

no, not all drl's have this feature. My XL7 had drl's and you can still leave your headlights on..

Frank
You made me get cold feet. As soon as I saw your reply, I went out and to see if what you said was true for me. I turned off the ignition with the headlights on and opened the door and they stayed on. Only the parking lights go out when the door is open. If yours works differently, let me know.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
flyingn said:
look in the owners manual etop. I remember reading about in there... maybe it was after a certain amount of time before they shut off??
I waited two minutes and the headlights stayed on. With just the parking lights, they go out as soon as the door is open.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
puttputt said:
etop, only the parking lights turn off for me when I open the door. My headlights stayed on.
Great, I'm glad we got that cleared up.

·
Registered
685 Posts
This is a great feature!!!........because as I mentioned in a previous thread, one of the annoying things about DRL's is that, at nite, if you drive away with your DRL's on, everything seems normal, but you are driving without taillites till you realize your dash lites are off.........then the little bells go off in your head..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

It's happened to me a half dozen times..... :oops: :oops: :oops:

If you use your DRL's with your park lites on, as etop mentioned above, everything goes off with the ignition off and door open, and on with the ignition on. Have I got this right....

IMO.....kills two birds with one stone....so to speak... :lol:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bluenoser said:
This is a great feature!!!........because as I mentioned in a previous thread, one of the annoying things about DRL's is that, at nite, if you drive away with your DRL's on, everything seems normal, but you are driving without taillites till you realize your dash lites are off.........then the little bells go off in your head..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

It's happened to me a half dozen times..... :oops: :oops: :oops:

If you use your DRL's with your park lites on, as etop mentioned above, everything goes off with the ignition off and door open, and on with the ignition on. Have I got this right....

IMO.....kills two birds with one stone....so to speak... :lol:
Thats correct. It's amazing what you find when your not looking.

·
Registered
168 Posts
etop,
You have to close the door and the headlights will go out in 30 seconds. If you use the remote to lock it, they go out immediately. At least that's how mine work. I don't have drl, though.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I *knew* am not going nuts! Thanks.. :)

pweezil said:
etop,
You have to close the door and the headlights will go out in 30 seconds. If you use the remote to lock it, they go out immediately. At least that's how mine work. I don't have drl, though.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pweezil said:
etop,
I'll give it a try later today and let you know what happens.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Glad I could help. I got panicky when I read that they wouldn't go off. I traded in a 2003 Tacoma that would shut the lights off as soon as I opened the door. I just turned the headlights on the day I bought it and they were still turned on went I picked up my new RAV. I never had to worry about them. The first time I got out of the RAV, they were still on, so I reached back in and shut them off. Last night I read the manual and although the wording was slightly confusing, it looked like it should work. I tried waiting and sure enough, it did. On the vehicle inquiry report I received from the dealer, it mentioned auto-off headlights.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
pweezil said:
Glad I could help. I got panicky when I read that they wouldn't go off. I traded in a 2003 Tacoma that would shut the lights off as soon as I opened the door. I just turned the headlights on the day I bought it and they were still turned on went I picked up my new RAV. I never had to worry about them. The first time I got out of the RAV, they were still on, so I reached back in and shut them off. Last night I read the manual and although the wording was slightly confusing, it looked like it should work. I tried waiting and sure enough, it did. On the vehicle inquiry report I received from the dealer, it mentioned auto-off headlights.
I was curious about the auto headllight so I had to verify that it worked. The way it works for me is that the parking lights go off as soon as you open the door. The headlights go off when you double click the remote to lock the doors. This is just the way I would like it to be.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I just got the car back from the dealer and decided to test all the various things mentioned. It did everything flingn, pweezil, and etop mentioned.

With parking lights on, it shuts off as soon as I turn the ignition off.

With headlights on, it shuts off about 30 seconds after I closed the door (sorry, I didn't try just turning off the ignition). It will also immediately turn off if I push the lock button twice.

These are very cool features because I have killed several batteries in the past by accidentally leaving my lights on. :oops:

I wish I could program the interior lights to do the same when manually turned on.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts