Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I tried to drive my car over a curb. When I drove off the curb to get off the grass, I kinda went too fast and my shocks gave out for a moment. In that instant, the front of the car dipped and there was a bang. (the CD player was on and it skipped for a second) Anyway, I got out and looked and the curb took a couple centimeters off the bottom of my car on both sides, right behind the front wheels. Other then that, I didn't see any problems. I'm not sure if I did any damage to the underpart of the car and am not sure if there was any damage to the mechanics under the car. Does anyone know what problems would have been produced right after the front of my car dipped and the spots right behind the front wheels dipped and smashed onto the curb? Since I do not have a before and after picture of what the bottom of my car looks like, I do not know what has been changed. All I can say is that nothing on the bottom of my car (directly under the four seats) is lower than the body of the car. :cry:

I have a 2002 automatic. I have noticed that when I shift directly from reverse to drive, the gear shift (or whatever changes the gears) makes a loud clunking noise when shifting. Also, the engine makes a real quiet chirping noise when in park (idle). I am not sure if these are what resulted from the contact of the car and the curb. I will try to post come pictures later this week if I can get my hands on a camera.

I appreciate all the help and feedback from everyone!! :)

B

·
0 Posts
The exhaust pipe may have hit the concrete and either flatten or bent it. Sometimes this can cause a crack which leaks out a bit of gas causing a chirping sound. Get under with a light and inspect the lowest components in the area behind the front wheels. Take special not of any gashes or marks on the exhaust.

Brian

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx man. i usually don't notice this kind of sounds since my radio is mostly on. I'll probably end up dropping by a shop and have them check it out since I don't have jack stands.

Does anyone have pictures of the undercarriage of a 4.2?
I was able to drive around town and find a 4.3, but from what I saw, the undercarriage of the 4.2 is a little different from the 4.3.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You didn't say but it seems like you went off perpendicular to the curb causing both wheels to drop at the same time.
It's better to approach at an angle so each wheel goes off at different times. Less chance for slamming down.
If you did this and it stll bottomed out?????????
It's a RAV not a Tundra. :D :D :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are correct. My car was perpendicular to the curb.

It was a very particular situation. As you know, kids are go wild the moment they leave school. Well, as I was turning into the school's parking lot, some kids decided the entrance to the parking lot should also be an exit. So one minute, there were only cars in the exit side, and the next minute, there were cars on both sides of the entrance/exit trying to exit the parking lot. Well, I had to veer to get out of the way, so my car went up the grass. I then decided to drive up the 45 degrees incline since there was no way backing out. So I gased it a little, but since the incline was that steep and I was on the grass, the rav began to slide backwards. Well, in order for me to not hit the sides of the car behind me, I laid down on the gas about half way and the Rav shot up. Next thing I know, both front wheels cleared the curb and onto the gravel and then BAM, the shocks gave way, the bottom of the driver and passenger seats came in contact with the curb and the CD player stoped playing for about a second. It was either turn into the grass, or end up in a head on collision. :? :? :( :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts