Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Rav4 LE
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passing along some information here and looking for a response from a Toyota service tech. I have a 2015 Rav4 with 127K on it. Last December I had 120K service performed at our local Toyota dealer. This is essentially a transmission fluid replacement. As an owner I have no way to check the transmission fluid level. Went south for January and February to Alabama. The first cold night we had the vehicle wouldn't move when started. I suspected low transmission fluid as there was some cavitation noise in the transmission. I let the vehicle warm up for a few minutes and it was able to move. Then took it to the closest Toyota dealer. They found that the transmission was 3/4 Qt. low on fluid. Transmission scanner tests showed no transmission damage. Just letting anyone else with high mileage to be aware that fluid level is critical. I don't know the Toyota service process but something was obviously missed on my vehicle. Asking any Toyota tech if something was missed or if the process is sensitive for some reason.

·
Registered
184 Posts
It seems this same situation has come up several times in the past year.

The U760e/f in the 4 cylinder apps (RAV4) is closely related to the U660e/f used with the V6 motors like in the Sienna up thru 2016. The dipstick-less procedure of filling by temperature is pretty much identical. It seems to work just fine on the Sienna / Highlander, yet occasionally fail on the RAV4. Once the fluid heats and expands, the RAV4 works too, indicating as you said that your box was left part of a quart low.

Is this a procedure / training issue? Does the vehicle sit on some lifts sufficiently nose down that that the tech gets tricked? Does the thermocouple lag behind actual fluid temp? An air trap? Something isn't quite right here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts