Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would hook up my laptop PC output to the Aux input to get a better sound when using my Street Atlas program with my GPS. The constant worrying and high pitch from the electrical system came through, so I deceided this is not a good Idea. It works just fine with my Video Ipod.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yeah it happens when you connect the grounds of two items that are grounded separately, which is known as a ground loop. If there are any EE's here they could probably give a better explanation.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't understand about the ground loop. My Ipod is floating with no ground connection. Must be something I am missing here.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never charge my Ipod when its in the car. I understand about the Ipod not being grounded, because I am only using the audio out through the headphone jack. As far as the laptop, which is also charging through the 12 V output, that this is where the ground loop is created.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well,

I have the Belkin Auto kit for the ipod. On one end is a cigarette lighter adapter to which is affixed a cable that plugs into the aux input in our RAVs. The other end plugs into the bottom of my ipod. No noise whatsoever. The pod plays and charges at the same time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Does any have the wiring diagrams for the 12 volts cigarrete, and the stereo power?.... I want to eliminate the ground loop experienced when connecting the laptop and the sound to the AUX input... the existing " Ground loop isolators" are just filters that tried just as the name imply to filter the noisy signals that are caused by the bad ground layout of Toyota electrical designers.... but the noise are still there and you can not get the full power advantage of using the aux input instead of any FM transmitters. Design Engineers, blah, and they still said on the manual that the noise will be there...mmm, they should contract a consultant like Ralph Morrison to help them eliminate those noisy problems... Or some one ask them to read any "Grounding and Shielding techniques"....
(If I am succesfull, I will publish here were to connect the appropiate wires and fuses)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you tried listening to your laptop with a normal set of earphones?

I get a lot of noise through my Dell D610 regardless of how / where I'm using it. It might not be the car that is the problem.

·
Registered
113 Posts
hey, If I heared a noise when connecting to my house stereo, I had replaced the laptop by defective... this kind of noise is typical of the bad ground design from Toyota... I used the same with my old Grand Cherokee and never had that problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts