Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2012 Rav4. Both the console and rear auxiliary power sockets died between one trip and the next - no apparent reason. The fuse under the dash (may that fuse block be cursed for all eternity) is all right. I changed it out anyway, no change. I pulled the relay in the dash, checked it, swapped it, and finally jumpered it with no change. Volt meter says there is no power at the relay - wish I'd checked that first but it seems like this entire job has to be done the hard way. Checking around can't find anything else that lost power yet, just the accessory sockets.

I CANNOT find where the power comes from to supply power to the relay. Any help? We NEED those plugs to power my father's oxygen.

By the way. I made my own tool to reach up inside that cursed upside down fuse block if anyone's interested. It's the only way I've been able to pull or replace fuses. Now I'm finding all sorts of unrelated uses for it.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,831 Posts
OK, it looks like the PWR relay is connected to a 30A PWR fuse in the same dash panel as the PWR relay. The photo shows 3 pink 30A fuses. The one on the left is PWR, then DEF (Defroster), and the one on the right is PWR SEAT. See if you're getting power to that fuse.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. Sadly, it looks like all three of those 30 amp fuses are OK and I measure voltage at all of them. It looks like the problem is somewhere between the fuse and the relay socket. On the plus side, I'm wondering if I can just run a separate fused 12volt wire directly to the relay socket and not only restore power but have constant-on lighter sockets as a bonus. Jumpering that socket is a well known way to get constant-on lighter sockets already... so I'd just have a really long jumper that goes right to the battery instead of the other terminal.

I should've just gone ahead and described my fuse block tool last time. I used electrical tape to attach an inspection camera to the side of some needle-nose pliers. Don't even have to bend down anymore which at my age is a lot of fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts