Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just noticed that Mobil 1 now has a 16w-20 out (Walmart), but it is API SN, SN Plus. The 2019 calls for SN/RC (Resource Conserving) which provides additional efficiencies (and/or protection) for certain components.

Anybody know of any oil out there that is fully synthetic 16w-20 that is also SN/RC? Also filters? Presumably I can order Toyota oil and filters on Amazon, but I haven't checked to confirm yet.

I would like to do a first oil change myself at 5k and also have an oil analysis done to use as a baseline for the life of the vehicle.

And no, I don't want to pay to have the dealer do it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've just noticed that Mobil 1 now has a 16w-20 out (Walmart), but it is API SN, SN Plus. The 2019 calls for SN/RC (Resource Conserving) which provides additional efficiencies (and/or protection) for certain components.
Anybody know of any oil out there that is fully synthetic 16w-20 that is also SN/RC? Also filters? Presumably I can order Toyota oil and filters on Amazon, but I haven't checked to confirm yet.
You want 0W-16. The Mobil 1 0w-16 is rated for API SN but there is no mention of the RC part. The Rc is evidently a suppliment to the SN:
Resource Conserving requires further properties like:
emission system protection
turbocharger protection
compatibility with engines operating on ethanol containing fuels, up to E-85
See: https://www.oilspecifications.org/articles/api-sn.php

The Mobil site has a search function for the appropriate engine oil but the 2019 Rav4 is not listed. I've just dashed off an email to them to hopefully confirm. Here's a number to call as well: "Call 1-800-662-4525 to ask a technical question about Mobil™-branded products". I'm a fan of Mobil oil so if this checks out I won't be looking further. I can't imagine the other Toyotas that are on the list wouldn't also want the above properties sans the turbo protection.

The OEM Toyota filter is part numner 90915-YZZM1 That's what the dealer sold me anyway, the 90915 checks out but I can't access the remainder of the number on my vehicle's current filter. The size and shape match. It was only about $9 at the dealership.

Edit: None of the genuine Toyota 0W-16 I see for sale online, ebay and Amazon anyway, shows RC.

·
Super Moderator
10,920 Posts
As mentioned it's 0W16, there is no such thing as 16W20. If it's rated SN or SN+ you're good to go.

·
Premium Member
7,691 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm a mobil1 fan as well.

I haven't seen any 0w-16 in my local auto parts stores just passing through but I did see the 0w-16 mobil 1 at walmart for a pretty good price. I passed on it at the time mainly because I went in only for a couple things and didn't have a shopping cart.

I did go home and interestingly the mobil1 website didn't have any oils listed in their website oil/filter matching tool. I thought maybe it wasn't updated for 2019 yet so I tried a 2018 camry as essentially they're the same engine and interestingly the website stated they don't have any oils for the 2018 camry either.

I do find that weird as if I recall the jug specifically stated for select honda and toyota engines. If its not for the new 18-19 four cylinders I can't imagine what its for unless its a prius.

Hopefully mobil1 will get it together soon as I like the brand and I wanted to change my oil way before the one year recommended change.

·
Premium Member
7,691 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
I couldn't find the API RC rating on the Toyota 0W-16 oil that the owner's manual specifies, just API SN. :confused: Is it marked on the bottle itself?

Well, I really didn't pay that much attention. I'll be picking up another batch soon. I'll try to post another pic of the back of the bottle when I do.

Just an FYI. At my local Walmart, they had Mobil 1 (0/16). But it was specified for High Mileage Vehicles. The only reason I haven't purchased aftermarket products is that I just can't find it. Amazingly, the price for the stuff at the service department was probably cheaper than what I would have paid for aftermarket stuff. I plan on doing all my service myself every 5K miles. I don't believe that the RC rating will have a bearing on my choice (when available).

·
Premium Member
7,691 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,920 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
So from what i am reading and seeing from API is that the RC just means you may get a little better mpg with that oil. Is that a correct evaluation of what is being stated?

·
Premium Member
7,691 Posts
I don't see the RC designation in the print or on the bottle in the link. Am I missing something?
Read the spec sheet(bottom link) I posted earlier yesterday, it has the Resource Conserving API spec.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts