7,801 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,801 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Well, I really didn't pay that much attention. I'll be picking up another batch soon. I'll try to post another pic of the back of the bottle when I do.

Just an FYI. At my local Walmart, they had Mobil 1 (0/16). But it was specified for High Mileage Vehicles. The only reason I haven't purchased aftermarket products is that I just can't find it. Amazingly, the price for the stuff at the service department was probably cheaper than what I would have paid for aftermarket stuff. I plan on doing all my service myself every 5K miles. I don't believe that the RC rating will have a bearing on my choice (when available).
So you aren’t using the 2 years of free maintenance. May I ask why?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I enlarged the pic of the back of the Toyota oil listed on ebay, it's a bit hard to read, but sure looks like it has the Resource Conserving API rating in the "donut".]
I think you're right. That's the only text I've seen, from inspecting other labels, that adds that much writing in the "donut". Plus it would be rather ironic Toyota wouldn't follow their own recommendation. Thanks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I can't speak directly for PhenixFord but, like the OP of this thread, a number of us like to perform an early oil change on a new vehicle. For me that's around 1000 miles. I know it's said to be unnecessary in this day and age due to the advent of precision machining and some running of the engine at the facory, but old habits die hard. And, for many of us, changing the oil is no big deal.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I can't speak directly for PhenixFord but, like the OP of this thread, a number of us like to perform an early oil change on a new vehicle. For me that's around 1000 miles. I know it's said to be unnecessary in this day and age due to the advent of precision machining and some running of the engine at the facory, but old habits die hard. And, for many of us, changing the oil is no big deal.
As much as I’ve changed the oil in my cars all my life, I have never touched any of my hybrids, save for the air filters. Mostly because I don’t want to give them any reason in case there’s a warranty issue. My question was more about doing your own maintenance when its been included for 2 years. Is it a lack of confidence in Toyota maintenance? Maybe a more frequent oil change schedule?

·
Registered
290 Posts
As much as I’ve changed the oil in my cars all my life, I have never touched any of my hybrids, save for the air filters. Mostly because I don’t want to give them any reason in case there’s a warranty issue. My question was more about doing your own maintenance when its been included for 2 years. Is it a lack of confidence in Toyota maintenance? Maybe a more frequent oil change schedule?
I suppose folks like myself could have Toyota perform the first service at 1000 miles. But what a waste of a tire rotation and I doubt the fluids need checking or any other features of a "scheduled service" need be performed. Sure, I'll take advantage of the free maintenance although I may do it slightly more frequently than mandated. I don't feel the need, like many, to change oil every 5000 miles, I find that a bit wasteful when specs mandate half that frequency.

Keep records, in the provided book, and receipts and you should, by law, have no problem with warranty issues. Other than the alloted free maintenance I'll be doing all my own.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

I do my own. The "free" stuff usually ends up costing money/time. Whether it be dirty head liners, greasy fingerprints everywhere, lack of respect for my vehicle in general. The very very very least experienced mechs get the scummy jobs (and oil changes are scummy jobs). And I have to take it there, wait...and wait...and wait. When I do it I can do it in my garage and perform other chores/tasks while its draining.

Plus I can make sure its done right versus being torqued to 1 gazillion ft/lbs. :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Here's the word back from my Mobil inquiry:

Ok, that points me in the right direction. We currently can't recommend my only 0W-16 if the manual calls for the RC spec, but I hope to see it eventually. It may simply be an issue of waiting in line to get a license from API, just like we did with the SN Plus ratings.

Fun fact, we actually produced a pair of 0W-16 oils for Toyota before we brought our own to market. The TFF (Toyota Factory Fill) and TGMO (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil) are produced in several of our US plants. While Toyota will be providing the support on TGMO, at least you know it's being made to their specifications by ExxonMobil.

Thank you for choosing Mobil,
Jim
Mobil Help Desk Team Lead

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I do my own. The "free" stuff usually ends up costing money/time. Whether it be dirty head liners, greasy fingerprints everywhere, lack of respect for my vehicle in general. The very very very least experienced mechs get the scummy jobs (and oil changes are scummy jobs). And I have to take it there, wait...and wait...and wait. When I do it I can do it in my garage and perform other chores/tasks while its draining.

Plus I can make sure its done right versus being torqued to 1 gazillion ft/lbs. :D
I must be very lucky as I’ve never had a bad experience getting my Toyota’s serviced at the Toyota dealers I know. I’ve almost never had to wait even an hour for them to be completely done with oil changes/tire rotations. Now I’ve had a few service managers try to sell me stuff I didn’t need but that’s to be expected. Overall it’s been painless, which is why I keep going back.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I must be very lucky as I’ve never had a bad experience getting my Toyota’s serviced at the Toyota dealers I know. I’ve almost never had to wait even an hour for them to be completely done with oil changes/tire rotations. Now I’ve had a few service managers try to sell me stuff I didn’t need but that’s to be expected. Overall it’s been painless, which is why I keep going back.

Totally understand; just not my bag of cookies.

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
You mean besides Pennzoil and Valvoline? Either way, use what you will but it seems reckless to advise others with no factual basis.
Odd that Toyota's genuine oil does not meet the spec.
Frankly I would not even think twice about using any major brand 0W16 SN or SN+ regardless of that new spec until it is widely available. Will an engine blow into tiny pieces due to the lack of that specification? Hardly. It would likely last longer than you wanted to own it with 5W20 or 0W20.

If you have the dealer change the oil with TGMO (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil) have you voided your warranty?

If you can't find the oil then use the next best thing and go on about your day.

·
Registered
252 Posts

Oh I'm not turning down anything FREE. But I will be doing the services at every 5000 mile intervals myself. And all the proceeding services myself.

I find it very strange how some are so stressed over following a precise break-in period. And stress about absolutely having to have a specific oil. And yet have no difficulty with a 10K service agreement? Agree that it's "In The Book". But many knowledgeable mechanics will tell you that A LOT can happen to a vehicle in 10,000 miles. For me, it takes 20 minutes of my time to do an oil service. And $30. If you call that a waste, so be it.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,801 Posts
Mobil 1™ 0W-16 Advanced Fuel Economy

Toyota

• 2018 Toyota Camry Hybrid SE, LE and XLE 4-Cylinder 2.5L
  • 2018 Toyota Camry L, LE, SE, XLE and XSE 4-Cylinder 2.5L
  • 2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited 4-Cylinder 2.5L
  • 2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE 4-Cylinder 2.5L
  • 2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XSE 4-Cylinder 2.5L
  • 2019 Toyota Camry 2.5L
  • 2019 Toyota RAV4 2.5L
  • 2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-mobil-advantage/mobil-1-modern-engines/mobil-1-0w-16-advanced-fuel-economy
Mobile's specs shows the 0W-16 doesn't meet the Resource Conserving requirement, just API SN Plus, SN, 0W-20 does, but not 0W-16.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Oh I'm not turning down anything FREE. But I will be doing the services at every 5000 mile intervals myself. And all the proceeding services myself.

I find it very strange how some are so stressed over following a precise break-in period. And stress about absolutely having to have a specific oil. And yet have no difficulty with a 10K service agreement? Agree that it's "In The Book". But many knowledgeable mechanics will tell you that A LOT can happen to a vehicle in 10,000 miles. For me, it takes 20 minutes of my time to do an oil service. And $30. If you call that a waste, so be it.
Just curious. BTW I’m not a fan of Toyota’s decision to go with 10k. I generally take my Prius in at 5k-7.5k, depending on what kind of usage it’s had. And there’s never been a thought about any kind of break-in with a hybrid of mine. I’m not one to drive a hybrid at high speeds anyway.
As to oil specificity, car forums tend to bring out the oil “experts” who like to argue for days about it, get it tested, and who are sure what they use is the best.

21 - 40 of 213 Posts