Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
It is. When there was only conventional oil in the past Mobil 1 synthetic was viewed as superior because of lubricating properties and longevity without breakdown. Your vehicle will only use full synthetic 16W and therefore in my opinion spending more yields no benefits over the Toyota oil.

Always remember, if Toyota built this motor and designated this particular oil (made by Mobil for Toyota) as what the dealer should use, you can't go wrong.

It's what I do for a living, I'm not an expert or master tech, but a long time Toyota parts manager.

When I asked my Local Toyota dealer what oil they used in the Rav4 - they told me Mobil 1. This is what I get at WallyWorld. I don't know why anyone would be worried about using Mobil 1.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Like this?
This is the 0W-16 Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-16, 5 Quart - Pack of 3, at . . .
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PSW1PXH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
WOW...that's a great price.
That is a good price now at $52.17 for a 5 quart - 3 pack.
Does not qualify for a rebate that I can see though: https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/promotions/do-it-yourself-oil-change/designed-for-your-drive-promotion.html

·
Premium Member
67 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Pennzoil rebates are hit or miss for me anyway. Not trusting Mail in rebate for them again after my last attempt. They said the image of my receipt failed to carry over in their system or some crap like that after I waited 8 weeks with no feedback. Said the same thing to my mother in law for her rebate within the hour. Wouldn’t have received my rebate had I not called and resubmitted. That was a really crappy move on their part.

100% success with Mobil 1 rebates.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I looked also, and agree that it doesn't appear to. But at $3.48/Quart it's still a pretty great price.
Price is currently down to $43.78: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PSW1PXH/

Also, if you have a discover card linked (with a cash back balance), there may be another 20% off if available: https://www.amazon.com/b?tag=bfrow-20&ascsubtag=2a5c91440fcb11eaaefd2ab9d51e9d180INT&node=20547486011&sdsrc=featured

So, I am in for about $2.34+tax per quart! Woohoo!

Wait for deals, no need to not buy overpriced oil at the dealership.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
View attachment 147048

When I asked my Local Toyota dealer what oil they used in the Rav4 - they told me Mobil 1. This is what I get at WallyWorld. I don't know why anyone would be worried about using Mobil 1.
This looks like the same thing I saw at WM a few months ago - it did not say Resource Conserving in the "donut" as per what the manual calls for. Just an FYI...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Price is currently down to $43.78: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PSW1PXH/

Also, if you have a discover card linked (with a cash back balance), there may be another 20% off if available: https://www.amazon.com/b?tag=bfrow-20&ascsubtag=2a5c91440fcb11eaaefd2ab9d51e9d180INT&node=20547486011&sdsrc=featured

So, I am in for about $2.34+tax per quart! Woohoo!

Wait for deals, no need to not buy overpriced oil at the dealership.
Let us know what you think. One of the reviews on Amazon complains about 2019 Rav4 engine sounding louder w/ this oil.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Let us know what you think. One of the reviews on Amazon complains about 2019 Rav4 engine sounding louder w/ this oil.
I will put a decibel/sound meter in the engine bay sometime this week, and with the next oil change with the Pennzoil. Hope that reviewer is not comparing a warmed up engine vs inital start up after an oil change. With my average mileage, it will be somewhere in late Jan-2020.

One day shipping and I am not prime via USPS. Yeay, bottle caps did not leak. Maybe I ordered the 3 pack, and it was in the cardboard box.

Just my opinion Pennzoil offers the best value. AMSOil is out, simply because of the price even with the 25% member discount. I would take Valvoline/Castro as secondary options. Mobile 1 in the past (albeit 10W-30) away gave me a burning smell.There is also a youtube: Project Farm (not scientific at all in the tests at all) did some oil comparison and I do not think M1 is a good value, but works well enough. I am not trying to start a brand preference as any 0w-16 will work fine, but good to have options. I am eventually going to switch to 0W-20.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It doesn't matter what 0W-16 weight oil you use, your engine will be noisyer with the lightweight motor oil then it would be with the 0W-20, which I use.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I will put a decibel/sound meter in the engine bay sometime this week, and with the next oil change with the Pennzoil. Hope that reviewer is not comparing a warmed up engine vs inital start up after an oil change. With my average mileage, it will be somewhere in late Jan-2020.

One day shipping and I am not prime via USPS. Yeay, bottle caps did not leak. Maybe I ordered the 3 pack, and it was in the cardboard box.

Just my opinion Pennzoil offers the best value. AMSOil is out, simply because of the price even with the 25% member discount. I would take Valvoline/Castro as secondary options. Mobile 1 in the past (albeit 10W-30) away gave me a burning smell.There is also a youtube: Project Farm (not scientific at all in the tests at all) did some oil comparison and I do not think M1 is a good value, but works well enough. I am not trying to start a brand preference as any 0w-16 will work fine, but good to have options. I am eventually going to switch to 0W-20.
I'm hoping that Havoline comes out w/ 0w-16.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It doesn't matter what 0W-16 weight oil you use, your engine will be noisyer with the lightweight motor oil then it would be with the 0W-20, which I use.
Is switching to 0W-20 going to cause any problems? I read somewhere, maybe it was for the Camry that also uses 0W-16 that the manual states it's okay to use 0W-20 in a pinch if you can't find 0W-16, but then you go back to 0W-16.

101 - 120 of 150 Posts