Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
The idea that Toyota is using 0w16 could have something to do with mpg but I’m sure there are lots of other reasons. Just guessing but I’d say less overall operational component stress in the cold comes to mind this time of year. Toyota is also talking 0w12 and 0w8.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Would you believe that wal-mart's brand, Super Tech has resource conserving SN Plus 0W-16? :D
I won't be using that anytime soon.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Huh, I didn’t know SuperTech had 0W-16 available in the line up. I honestly wouldn’t knock it until I’ve tried it though. I’ve read a lot of positive used oil analysis reports on Warren (manufacturer of SuperTech). If it meets the certification spec called for, it’ll do the job just fine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Would you believe that wal-mart's brand, Super Tech has resource conserving SN Plus 0W-16? :D
I won't be using that anytime soon. View attachment 148717
You guys are too funny! Do you honestly believe Wal-Mart owns their own oil refinery? Do you think Toyota owns their own oil refinery? C'mon. Think about it. They buy in bulk from the same place and put their own label on it. All diamonds on earth come from about 4 companies. All (raw) chocolate on earth comes from about 4 companies. All oil on earth, well, you get the picture.

The cheapest oil is from those who buy the most. It does NOT mean weaker ingredients. Do I think Wal-Mart buys more oil a year that Toyota? Hells Ya! Duh! So they can pass some of the bulk pricing onto you.

And 0w16 vs. 0w20 is really splitting hairs. Use either with indistinguishable results.

·
Registered
457 Posts
There is actaully no test yet for ILSAC GF-6B - the new oil standard for 0w-16 oils. All companies are currently self certifying based on anticipation of passing such test later this year. More on this here ( I am not endorsing Penzoil, its just good info) What you need to know about ILSAC GF-6

Super Tech oil has a reasonable reputation in the automotive world, however general consensus is that it lacks the long life additives of the higher end brands. Short version - if our changing oil frequently - no issues. If your trying to run as long as possible, then it might not be the best choice.

Either way, if you let your dealer change your oil, if not yet they soon will be using the cheapest bulk oil available - so SuperTech might be an improvement over that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
TBN Total Base Number - acids build in the oil as waste products of combustion. So basic additives neutralize those acids. You can have your used oil tested for total base number. If it is greater than zero, the oil is safe to stay in your car. I've had Mobil 1 0w20 tested at 20,xxx miles in my last hybrid and it came back as "safe to use for an additional 5000 miles". So yes, brand to brand can have slight differences in additives but they are all really, really close. 18 Wheel trucks go 100,000 miles on their oil. Think they care about their engines when it's putting food on the table? You bet. But science has shown the oil is good for 100,000 miles if the base number stays up. Since most diesels burn a little oil, every week when they "top off a quart" they are adding more base and that keeps the acids down.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Those big semis that go 100,000 miles per OCI probably have a bypass filter though. The tech is really cool. Like 10% of the oil that gets cycled is diverted through a bypass filter that gets that stuff as good as new. Kits cost 100’s of dollars though and take up a lot of room. Not seen on passenger vehicles for that reason. But like you said, motor oil is a helluva engineering marvel.

·
Premium Member
7,424 Posts
141 - 150 of 150 Posts