Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

141 - 160 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
The idea that Toyota is using 0w16 could have something to do with mpg but I’m sure there are lots of other reasons. Just guessing but I’d say less overall operational component stress in the cold comes to mind this time of year. Toyota is also talking 0w12 and 0w8.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Would you believe that wal-mart's brand, Super Tech has resource conserving SN Plus 0W-16? :D
I won't be using that anytime soon.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Huh, I didn’t know SuperTech had 0W-16 available in the line up. I honestly wouldn’t knock it until I’ve tried it though. I’ve read a lot of positive used oil analysis reports on Warren (manufacturer of SuperTech). If it meets the certification spec called for, it’ll do the job just fine.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Would you believe that wal-mart's brand, Super Tech has resource conserving SN Plus 0W-16? :D
I won't be using that anytime soon. View attachment 148717
You guys are too funny! Do you honestly believe Wal-Mart owns their own oil refinery? Do you think Toyota owns their own oil refinery? C'mon. Think about it. They buy in bulk from the same place and put their own label on it. All diamonds on earth come from about 4 companies. All (raw) chocolate on earth comes from about 4 companies. All oil on earth, well, you get the picture.

The cheapest oil is from those who buy the most. It does NOT mean weaker ingredients. Do I think Wal-Mart buys more oil a year that Toyota? Hells Ya! Duh! So they can pass some of the bulk pricing onto you.

And 0w16 vs. 0w20 is really splitting hairs. Use either with indistinguishable results.

·
Registered
736 Posts
There is actaully no test yet for ILSAC GF-6B - the new oil standard for 0w-16 oils. All companies are currently self certifying based on anticipation of passing such test later this year. More on this here ( I am not endorsing Penzoil, its just good info) What you need to know about ILSAC GF-6

Super Tech oil has a reasonable reputation in the automotive world, however general consensus is that it lacks the long life additives of the higher end brands. Short version - if our changing oil frequently - no issues. If your trying to run as long as possible, then it might not be the best choice.

Either way, if you let your dealer change your oil, if not yet they soon will be using the cheapest bulk oil available - so SuperTech might be an improvement over that.

·
Registered
331 Posts
TBN Total Base Number - acids build in the oil as waste products of combustion. So basic additives neutralize those acids. You can have your used oil tested for total base number. If it is greater than zero, the oil is safe to stay in your car. I've had Mobil 1 0w20 tested at 20,xxx miles in my last hybrid and it came back as "safe to use for an additional 5000 miles". So yes, brand to brand can have slight differences in additives but they are all really, really close. 18 Wheel trucks go 100,000 miles on their oil. Think they care about their engines when it's putting food on the table? You bet. But science has shown the oil is good for 100,000 miles if the base number stays up. Since most diesels burn a little oil, every week when they "top off a quart" they are adding more base and that keeps the acids down.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Those big semis that go 100,000 miles per OCI probably have a bypass filter though. The tech is really cool. Like 10% of the oil that gets cycled is diverted through a bypass filter that gets that stuff as good as new. Kits cost 100’s of dollars though and take up a lot of room. Not seen on passenger vehicles for that reason. But like you said, motor oil is a helluva engineering marvel.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Just found Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0W-16 at O'Reilly's on sale for $28 a 5 quart bottle today. They've started making it finally.

·
Registered
🇨🇦 2020 RAV4 XLE Hybrid - Super White
500 Posts
Just going down the rabbit hole of boredom, what are people's take on AMSoil OE 100% synthetic 0W-16 - Has anyone used it and have any experience with it?

I have a local retailer that carries it @ $8.60CAD/qt., versus Toyota OEM 0W-16 $7.60CAD/qt. - both carry the necessary API SN/RC designations required by our manual. Curious what are people's thoughts if it's worth the extra $$ given the claims, and being 100% synthetic versus OEM. I'm faithful to just sticking to the Toyota brand, but let's indulge 🤘

Reading AMSoil's material, it claims to be 47% more efficient at reducing engine wear than required by the Dexos Gen.2 specification. The term "resource conserving" is a bolt-on to SN and SN PLUS. Simply holding SN/SN+, or just being 0W-16 does NOT automatically give an oil the official "resource conserving" status - to achieve the RC add-on the oil must pass a sequence fuel economy limits.

EDIT:
Found a video on youtube, dealer of AMSoil, so take it with a grain of salt, but he discusses the oil in detail, and mentions it's feasibility for our RAV4's and in general which raise some good points:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
If you do long drain intervals AMSOil can be worth it. But its been a while since I did a cost break down. Toyota OEM = Mobil 1 if I recall correctly. I can buy a five quart Jug of M1 0-16 at Meijer for 22.99. It has the RC qualification.

·
Registered
500 Posts
If you do long drain intervals AMSOil can be worth it. But its been a while since I did a cost break down. Toyota OEM = Mobil 1 if I recall correctly. I can buy a five quart Jug of M1 0-16 at Meijer for 22.99. It has the RC qualification.
Preferably going to keep it in 8k-10k interval range over here.

But honestly what caught my eye is that it's a true 100% synthetic and 'should' operate better coating metal parts and dealing with the added heat the engine produces for better resource conserving results. The OEM oil isn't 100% synthetic, rather full synthetic - but this could all just be marketing, because racecar..

That darned 47% efficiency improvement does dangle a carrot for us hypermiler's - if we're squeezing every MPG possible in the hybrid, is it worth extra buck :unsure:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Preferably going to keep it in 8k-10k interval range over here.

But honestly what caught my eye is that it's a true 100% synthetic and 'should' operate better coating metal parts and dealing with the added heat the engine produces for better resource conserving results. The OEM oil isn't 100% synthetic, rather full synthetic - but this could all just be marketing, because racecar..

That darned 47% efficiency improvement does dangle a carrot for us hypermiler's - if we're squeezing every MPG possible in the hybrid, is it worth extra buck :unsure:
Yeah its a PAO4. Not a cracked PAO3 like most syns are. But that upfront cost becomes prohibitive sometimes. I ran severe service from AMSOil on my Maxima (A33) and changed the filter twice a year. Never really had a problem. The few OCAs I did came out clean. But its more an environment thing there as I could buy two oil changes for the price of one AMSOil. shrug I see it as six of one and a half dozen of another. I went with the option

I would put AMSOil in my car without hesitiation. Just hard to find deals/sales on it. Only way I did was find forum friends that just got their distribute package and order from them and go pick it up at their house. We have a shop around the corner that sells it...at retail. cough ouch.

Oh and the 47%. Its great IF you get that and then can put that part of costing per miles costs into MPG. But like the purchase of the Hybrid itself you have to cost amortize all your maint too. You would need to the the math to see how much gain in MPG you can get per the cost of the AMSOil change verus say a PAO3 type stock.

·
Registered
2019 Toyota RAV4 Adventure, 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1989 Toyota Celica Convertible
18 Posts
I am a big fan of Amsoil, and think it's worth investing in when engine is out of the 3/36 basic warranty. They claim you can go 15,000 between changes, but I would stay 10k or less. I used it in my past car, a 2017 Ford Fusion Sport with the 2.7 V6 twin turbo, my oldest son now has the car, 70k miles and runs beautifully.

That said, you can get the 0W-16 SuperTech full synthetic oil at WalMart, 5 quart jug for $14.88. As said above, WalMart's purchasing power definitely helps the cost, and the fact that it meets all aspects of the specs makes me confident in using it. Probably going to try it for my 2019 RAV4 Adventure this weekend.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am a big fan of Amsoil, and think it's worth investing in when engine is out of the 3/36 basic warranty. They claim you can go 15,000 between changes, but I would stay 10k or less. I used it in my past car, a 2017 Ford Fusion Sport with the 2.7 V6 twin turbo, my oldest son now has the car, 70k miles and runs beautifully.

That said, you can get the 0W-16 SuperTech full synthetic oil at WalMart, 5 quart jug for $14.88. As said above, WalMart's purchasing power definitely helps the cost, and the fact that it meets all aspects of the specs makes me confident in using it. Probably going to try it for my 2019 RAV4 Adventure this weekend.
the Walmart Supertech is what I’ve been using in between the factory changes. I’m gonna change my oil again at the 25k mark and then do an oil analysis of it at the 30k mark, see if i can push it out longer.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Oh and the 47%. Its great IF you get that and then can put that part of costing per miles costs into MPG. But like the purchase of the Hybrid itself you have to cost amortize all your maint too. You would need to the the math to see how much gain in MPG you can get per the cost of the AMSOil change verus say a PAO3 type stock.
I'm gonna side with you on this, I sadly have the same mentality, but coupled with this logic below from @PaulinSJ I think I'm gonna have to find some friends once I'm outside the basic warranty. Assuming this car will start sounding like a sewing machine soon once it's properly broken-in and I'm gonna need some liquid gold to soothe the sipping tiger ;)

I am a big fan of Amsoil, and think it's worth investing in when engine is out of the 3/36 basic warranty. They claim you can go 15,000 between changes, but I would stay 10k or less.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I am in the camp that Amsoil is snake oil. They buy the same base stock and blend in their additives - or some concoction of additives they also source. It might have been better when it started in the 60's, but in this day and age I can't imagine it is. Also the whole pyramid scheme makes it even less legit in my mind. Having said that its your rig, so use what you feel best using, and if that is Amsoil so be it.

As an aside, Amsoil oil filters are made by Baldwin in Nebraska. I am sure they claim to their spec but I have been in manufacturing my whole life and know there likely not sourcing their own filter material. Baldwin filters are 1/3 that of Amsoil typically - if you really want one.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I am in the camp that Amsoil is snake oil. They buy the same base stock and blend in their additives - or some concoction of additives they also source. It might have been better when it started in the 60's, but in this day and age I can't imagine it is. Also the whole pyramid scheme makes it even less legit in my mind. Having said that its your rig, so use what you feel best using, and if that is Amsoil so be it.

As an aside, Amsoil oil filters are made by Baldwin in Nebraska. I am sure they claim to their spec but I have been in manufacturing my whole life and know there likely not sourcing their own filter material. Baldwin filters are 1/3 that of Amsoil typically - if you really want one.
I thought this initially as well, I come from a specific world in finance and got the same whiffs when reading the hyper-informative documentation, claims etc. I've learned in my life that brand incentive - a positive light (another word for pyramid scheme) doesn't just work in the way to promote the company, but rather engage the average joe from enthusiasts doing just that for a common end goal validating the claim. So many shades of gray, and I'll respect your point 🍻

All-in-all, I think it's safe to assume this is the best oil offered in this weight.Seeing as I love this car and will trest it like a first born son, I'll treat it to the best offered, "If" I have an increase of even 1MPG for the extra 1$CAD I'll spend per qt. then technically they are correct validating the claim. I'm gonna meet in the middle and save my money till I'm outside of the basic warranty when I'll need to stretch every ounce of this car to make it last since I've purchased it outright. Thoughts?

·
Registered
736 Posts
I thought this initially as well, I come from a specific world in finance and got the same whiffs when reading the hyper-informative documentation, claims etc. I've learned in my life that brand incentive - a positive light (another word for pyramid scheme) doesn't just work in the way to promote the company, but rather engage the average joe from enthusiasts doing just that for a common end goal validating the claim. So many shades of gray, and I'll respect your point 🍻

All-in-all, I think it's safe to assume this is the best oil offered in this weight.Seeing as I love this car and will trest it like a first born son, I'll treat it to the best offered, "If" I have an increase of even 1MPG for the extra 1$CAD I'll spend per qt. then technically they are correct validating the claim. I'm gonna meet in the middle and save my money till I'm outside of the basic warranty when I'll need to stretch every ounce of this car to make it last since I've purchased it outright. Thoughts?
If you want to use Amsoil I am sure its a fine product. However the 1MPG is impossible. Toyota themselves said that going from 0w20 to 0w16 was to save 2% fuel mileage. So an ICE Rav gets 35 MPG hwy and 0.02x35=0.7MPG. So the engineers at Toyota redesigned a whole engine in a manner to allow them to use a whole step down in oil viscosity to get 0.7MPG - no way some oil additives are getting you 1mpg. Doesn't pass the smell test. If it did even 0.1MPG every OEM would be using it on the Cafe test.

If you want your engine to last forever the filter is the weak length in the lubrication system. If you run it too long it gets plugged. If you get one of those super long life oil filters it restricts flow. Your best bet is to use a quality filter and change it often. If your going to the trouble to change the filter often you might as well change the oil. If your changing your oil often then it doesn't much matter what brand you use - so its always this full circle.

141 - 160 of 213 Posts