Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Average MPG RAV4 Prime

672 Views 14 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Elgaucho
I have a RAV4 Prime 2021. I’m in Canada so all numbers are metrics- ie liters and kilometres. The car has 20,000 km. Up to now, the average LPK (litre per kilometre) was showing 3.8. It was very stable and would change slowly up or down 0.1 liter.
All of a sudden , that number jumped to 4.7 LPK. It is no longer stable and seems to be increasing every time I drive using gas.
Has this happened to anyone?
The only explanation I can think of is that I may have hit the reset button in error . But then, is there a way to see on how many kilometres this average LPK applies.
Thanks for any help.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
906 Posts
3.8 sounds like a kilometres/kWh number to me and who displays fuel/distance instead of distance/fuel? I haven't seen the Canadian display but I would expect it to display Km/kWh and Km/litre.

· Registered
2021 Prime XSE
418 Posts
3.8 sounds like a kilometres/kWh number to me and who displays fuel/distance instead of distance/fuel? I haven't seen the Canadian display but I would expect it to display Km/kWh and Km/litre.
That's because you're an American and don't appreciate that most of the rest of the Planet operates, unit wise, in metric. Don't worry, you're not alone!;)

Fuel use is in l/100km in Canada, Europe, and most of the rest of the World. Electricity use is kWh/100 kms. Consistent and comparable (unlike the basterdized miles/kWh, seriously this is crazy!)

· Registered
906 Posts
That's because you're an American and don't appreciate that most of the rest of the Planet operates, unit wise, in metric. Don't worry, you're not alone!;)

Fuel use is in l/100km in Canada, Europe, and most of the rest of the World. Electricity use is kWh/100 kms. Consistent and comparable (unlike the basterdized miles/kWh, seriously this is crazy!)
Right - and wrong. Yes I am an ignorant American regarding Fuel efficiency conventions in Canada (and elsewhere).But I am not ignorant of the metric system, how broadly used it is, or of the advantages it provides. I just don't get why the fuel amount would be numerated over an arbitrary distance of 100 km. In the US they invert the values for gas guzzling power boats to gallons/hour but that is just because hours is how they track engine use and hours/gallon would be fractional. I understand why the units are different but not why they are inverted. It probably just comes from differences in philosophy. Now that I think about it I am going to eat my words. My original thought was that I want to know how far I can go on a unit of fuel but unless you can't afford to fill your tank (not a laughing matter these days) most people want to go from one specific place to another (and know about how far that is) so fuel / 100 units would probably mean more to them. With the R4P having an EV range of 68 kilometers it would probably be more meaningful to know kWh/10kilometers but that would break comparisons with true EVs.

Thanks for the education and discussion. Now I will have to look twice when I see "3.8" to make sure it means miles/kWh to be sure the latest Toyota software update hasn't converted me to metric:).

· Registered
618 Posts

Uh, it’s “miles per gallon” and “miles per kilowatt hour” in the US, which doesn’t qualify as “bastardized”, as both measure energy use in miles traveled, just as the Canadian version does. The more obvious problem in the Prime PHEV is when owners (and Toyota) blend the EV and HV miles traveled together and call it “mpg”, thus leading to absurd efficiency claims. While I can’t test my assumption, I would guess that the Canadian Prime also blends HV and EV miles in the electronic readouts, and calls it “L/100km”, which is just as dumb.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m showing I overall. This is why I don’t understand why it suddenly changed so drastically
Hello, thank you for your time and input . It is much appreciated.
I just wanted to show you a picture of the dashboard in case you spot anything I missed.
the average went down to 4.6 since last week, but it was at 3.8 for a very long time until dec22 and suddenly jumped.
Gauge Speedometer Display device Auto part Trip computer

· Registered
384 Posts
The number that you are looking at includes the EV mode miles in its calculation. If the gas engine has been used more lately, this would cause an increase in consumption. In winter, there are more reasons for the gas engine to be used, even when in EV mode. The car should be at roughly 5.9 l/100km if run in hybrid mode all the time. Also, the number gets reset by hitting the update button on the Energy display of the infotainment system.

· Registered
2021 Prime XSE
418 Posts
Uh, it’s “miles per gallon” and “miles per kilowatt hour” in the US, which doesn’t qualify as “bastardized”, as both measure energy use in miles traveled, just as the Canadian version does. The more obvious problem in the Prime PHEV is when owners (and Toyota) blend the EV and HV miles traveled together and call it “mpg”, thus leading to absurd efficiency claims. While I can’t test my assumption, I would guess that the Canadian Prime also blends HV and EV miles in the electronic readouts, and calls it “L/100km”, which is just as dumb.
It's called the metric system, not "let's mix units from every regional system together with metric units to come up with random units !

Mixing Watts with miles is a bastardized unit!

· Registered
160 Posts
Hello, thank you for your time and input . It is much appreciated.
I just wanted to show you a picture of the dashboard in case you spot anything I missed.
the average went down to 4.6 since last week, but it was at 3.8 for a very long time until dec22 and suddenly jumped.
View attachment 191712
The 4.6 l/100 km indicated are the calculation of the liters consumed net of the electricity consumed. The more you drive in EV, the lower that value drops, the more you drive with the internal combustion engine, the higher that value rises.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts